Finding Pano Parts

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

jarhtmd

Finding Pano Parts

Post by jarhtmd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm new to this forum. Photography is my serious hobby & I love to shoot panoramas. I travel pretty often & return home with 1,000's of images, including many panos. Sorting thru them is quite a job. I usually try to take a quick shot of my feet before & after each pano sequence, but in my "feeding frenzy" of shooting I sometimes forget. Many of my trips are with groups of non-photographers, which means that I'm sometimes rushed to keep up with the group. Even with the before/after "markers", it's time-consuming to visually locate pano sequences for merging/stitching in Photoshop.

I've found software online (AutoPano from Kolor.com, for example) which will search thru folders & merge any panos found. That is definitely overkill for my needs . . . & much too expensive.

Does anyone know of inexpensive software (or even freeware) that will simply find pano sequences? It would be great to be able to run in batch & extract all candidates, but "manually" searching 1-at-a-time would be a tremendous improvement over visually scanning images.

TIA.

WWG

Re: Finding Pano Parts

Post by WWG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 am

Doesn't PTA already do that? If you put a bunch of files into PTA step 1 screen and generate control points, I think it will show you which files match up.

I've used Lightroom's Stacking function for that because that's where I'm working when I try to sort out panos. Photo > Stack > Auto stack by capture time. It works best for grouping auto bracket exposures since they happen very fast and you can set a very short time and Lr will group all this shots within that short time. For panos it depends on how systematic you are when you shoot. If you take a second or two between shots, then wait 5 seconds to start the next pano set, set the time to 3 seconds and Lr will group all sets that are shot with less than 3 seconds between them. You will get some groups that aren't panos but they are easily ungrouped.
Werner

jarhtmd

Post by jarhtmd » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks,WWG, for your reply.

I've looked thru various PTA threads here &, quite frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed. It seems to be very powerful software; probably too powerful and complicated for my needs. I'd much prefer to keep it simple.

I only want to find which files are "pano parts". PTAPicker appears to do what I need, but I don't need the complete PTA bundle; at this time anyway. Is a stand-alone version of PTAPicker available? I hesitate to buy a complete software package just to see if it "might" include a solution.

To restate the problem . . . search thru folder(s) and identify any files that appear to be part of (1-tier or multi-tier) panoramas.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:24 am

PTAssembler can't identify which files in a directory belong to panoramas by itself. Years ago, I wrote a Perl script that did this by parsing the EXIF data in all images in a directory and looking for sequences where the shutter/aperture/focal length/ISO settings are the same in a sequence of images. This isn't foolproof, but it worked OK in many cases.

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/perl_scripts.htm

I don't use this script anymore. I generally just create a page of thumbnails, and identify the sequences visually. Given that about 98% of all shots in my directories are part of a panoramic sequence, this works well for me.

Max