Panoramic Desktop Wallpaper?

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

Panoramic Desktop Wallpaper?

Post by cmcfalls » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:25 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here...

Anyone know where I can find some good panoramic desktop wallpapers? I have dual monitors and currently have two photographs as the desktop on each one but I want a panoramic one that will span both. Any help?

Post by sK8z » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 am

there is software you can buy that will do that for you but i have foudn the easiest way to do it is a pretty simple "hack"

take a screenshot of your desktop (Print Screen button) and paste it into photoshop.

that will give you the template to start from.

Now, take the image you want to span both montiors and past it over the screenshot.
If, like me, you have a laptop and a monitor the resolutions may be different and you will see a black square under/over one of the "screens" ignore this space and make sure the image you want on that screen covers the part of the desktop.

once you have the image edited save the image as a jpg and apply it as walpaper. the trick to make sure it covers both screens and doenst just show you a squised version is to choose "tile" as your position.

also, if you primary monitor is in front of you and yoru secondary monitor is to your left you will need to switch the "screens" in the screenshot so primary is on the left and 2nd is on the right.

Post by sK8z » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:19 am

two examples:
(resized down obviously)

in both cases the image on the top left is actually displayed on my "primary" monitor which in my case is physically on the right of the secondary

so for a single continuous image you would have the "outside" edges touching in the center so the picture woudl look like you split the image in halfa nad reversed both sides

Post by Buho » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:55 pm

My pano website is built with multiple monitor wallpaper in mind.

Everything in there is very high resolution. Granted, you'll have to crop to fit your own particular resolution.

Here's an example (ironically, not my own photography on my monitos):

I'm currently working on writing a Windows application that will allow you to import a high-res image, slice out the parts of the image "between" the monitors, and apply it as your wallpaper. Doing so allows diagonal lines to seem continuous between monitors. Currently I have a photoshop action that'll do this, but it's a little clunky and practically impossible to customize once made.

Every four months or so I do a survey of the Internet looking for super-high-resolution panoramic wallpaper and every time I find very, very little. My desktop is almost 4000 pixels wide. Check out the wallpaper at They have some supurb high-res wallpapers (if you look VERY closely, you'll find they're stitched ;))

Post by photon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Software wise UltraMon will do it

Post by sK8z » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 pm

yep ultramon was the app i was thinking of.

if you use the feature that lets you put two images on diff monitors or span a single large image it will do exactly what i said but generate the image for you.