Tilt-Shift portrait of a dog

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

elf

Tilt-Shift portrait of a dog

Post by elf » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:28 pm

This was done with my new tilt/shift lens, a Hartblei 80mm like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Nikon-MC-Har ... dZViewItem

It's really a practice image to see how stitching worked using the shift along with the tilt. My dog was kind enough to pose long enough to set up and shoot.

The setup and shooting order was:
1. Focus on foreground
2. Tilt lens until the dog was in focus
3. Recompose
4. Shoot center image
5. Shift left and shoot
6. Shift right and shoot
7. Shift up and shoot
8. Shift down and shoot

This sequence doesn't fill in the corners, so most of the top and bottom images are cropped and the oval frame is used to mask the empty areas. There was small amount of parallax between images, but blending was pretty easy.

My early impressions of this process are the shift by itself isn't very useful when using a spherical pano head. The tilt is more interesting, but it takes quite a bit of time to adjust for a single frame.

Here are a couple of single frame images:

Jim Z

Post by Jim Z » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm

The picture looks like it has a good depth of field, that the sch******g (tilt) focus works to good effect. Have you tried a landscape pano or photo with the 'tilt focus'? I was wondering how well the lens's tilted focused image can be aligned with a (ordinary) landscape foreground. (I haven't ever used a SLR type tilt lens, I imagine that the lens movement is more limited than that of a view camera.)( I have done a few dog panos... ;-) )

thanks
Jim Z

elf

Post by elf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:20 am

Jim Z wrote:Have you tried a landscape pano or photo with the 'tilt focus'? I was wondering how well the lens's tilted focused image can be aligned with a (ordinary) landscape foreground. (I haven't ever used a SLR type tilt lens, I imagine that the lens movement is more limited than that of a view camera.)
I've tried, but haven't gotten one good enough to share yet :(. Hopefully, it won't be raining too hard this weekend.

The lens has 8 degrees of tilt but I've never used a view camera so can't compare the two.

mridangini

Post by mridangini » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:02 am

I have a most beautiful picture but it was included in a scratch on the middle of the picture. I don’t like this scratch and I would like to refresh this. I don’t have any clue for this. I really need your help. I asked an amateur painter to make it but he hadn’t done this properly. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

elf

Post by elf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 am

I'm not sure I understand?

EliasDroke

Post by EliasDroke » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 am

Those ones of the flowers look amazing. They look like they're reaching out to me. Good stuff.