Suggestions for Shooting Hand-Held

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

h-g-t

Post by h-g-t » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:07 pm

"In reference to H-G-T comments, the following panoramic image was taken hand held. 9 portrait, total size is 10681X2936 at 300PPI and reduced in size to 1000 pixels wide for my web site.

There was no correction needed and as I said I most often shoot hand held.
Richard"

Well, your subjects in that pano were all pretty far away so you got away with it. And got a very good pano!

Although I always advocate the use of tripods, etc, the fact is that most of my panos did not use a tripod and I usually get away with it too because of the distances involved.

Whenever you start getting items close to you though you are taking a risk of having wasted your time. Both my first digital pano and one of my last were both hand-held and both were failures because I ignored my own advice. Went back and took the last one with a tripod and had no stitching errors that I could see.

I'm not against free shooting for panos, just saying that you have a better chance of success if you use a tripod or monopod to control the camera position unless everything is well away from you. After all, when you consider the time taken to get to and return from a site, saving a few minutes by not taking a little bit more effort might mean it has all been wasted. Apart from the parallax question, the use of a tripod, monopod, rifle grip or even leaning against a lamp-post can help reduce camera shake.

Used a rifle-grip for this one (18 images) to reduce camera shake and just braced my hand against a wall. All objects far away though so parallax errors at a minimum.

Full size (29,000x2,300) here :- http://gigapan.org/gigapans/17851/
Inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination .....

richard cooper

Post by richard cooper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Appreciate your comments.

It is not that I do not want to use a tripod but in many situations there is no room for a tripod or security says no.

Great Giga pano.

BTW, one way I eliminate parallax is using SmartBlend V 1.2.5.

Richard

h-g-t

Post by h-g-t » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 pm

From what I have seen on the 'net, the usual excuse for banning tripods is that they are a 'trip hazard'. Those in charge are, quite rightly, defending themselves against being sued if someone falls over the extended legs of your tripod.

I would have thought that monopods, which take up much less space, are less likely to cause problems but that is just my opinion.

One possible alternative is an 'organic bipod'. Just take someone slightly shorter than you and rest the camera on their shoulder!

If they are much smaller than you then you can always glue a minipod onto their head... No! That is going too far .........
Inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination .....

terje.mathisen

Post by terje.mathisen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:30 am

h-g-t wrote: Whenever you start getting items close to you though you are taking a risk of having wasted your time. Both my first digital pano and one of my last were both hand-held and both were failures because I ignored my own advice. Went back and took the last one with a tripod and had no stitching errors that I could see.
7+ years ago I posted about my (to then) largest panorama, about 0.21 Gpixels.

http://tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

It consisted of 57 handheld images, for a full 360 degree panorama taken nearby by wife's family's summer cabin.

Here's a small crop in full resolution:

The camera position was above a combined rock cairn and triangulation marker, so I had to reach up in order to hold the camera above the marker, and had absolutely no chance to use any kind of 'pod.

At a later time I made this 75 Mpix handheld 360:

http://tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Terje
PS. In a few months our new summer home, located just beyond the roofs seen the the detail crop, should be ready. :-)

h-g-t

Hand-held panos

Post by h-g-t » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:05 pm

I didn't say it could not be done, just that it was risky compared to using some method of keeping the camera in one position.

It depends on many factors, such as the relative distances of the subjects, the number of rows in the pano and focal length.

If you are shooting a single-row pano and you manage to keep close objects in the centre of a frame so they only appear in one shot, there will be no parallax error. Try doing a two-row pano though and, unless you have a far better memory than mine, it is very difficult to ensure that the photos line up vertically. This is what happened to my first pano (Pan Ha in Dysart), when I stood in one position so the camera moved along as I turned. A nearby lighting column was in different shots in the rows and would not line up. After 2 weeks I gave up and bodged it, if you look at the column you can just see the fix.

I got overconfident recently and made the same mistake when using my 300mm lens at Dysart Harbour. The tops of the masts were in slightly different positions in the two rows and the problem could not be resolved.

As I said, I am not against free shooting panos, but it can be a big disappointment to spend time and trouble visiting a site to make a pano then finding that the results are unsatisfactory. Dysart Harbour is only a few miles away so it was no problem to go back but what if I had been up a mountain or in another country?

I appreciate that tripods or monopods are not always available, all I am saying is turning yourself round the camera rather than turning the camera round you is more likely to be successful, especially for multi-row panos.