Minimum % overlap and smallest shooting interval

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

nickfan

Minimum % overlap and smallest shooting interval

Post by nickfan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 am

Dear members,

What is the Minimum % overlap you use for high resolution mosaics? I have heard that 25-30% overlap is good. Is this the case. Besides, what is the smallest shooting interval you ever use?

Nick

terje.mathisen

No fixed minimum

Post by terje.mathisen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:51 am

I take almost all my mosaics and panos handheld, in which case I tend to keep the overlap somewhere between 20 and 55 percent.

When taking panos inside a forest, with lots of potential parallax problems, I take extra photos centered on possible problems, like nearby trees.

Terje

maxlyons

Re: Minimum % overlap and smallest shooting interval

Post by maxlyons » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 am

I generally aim for about 10-20% when shooting on a tripod unless I know that more overlap will be useful for some reason (e.g. motion or light changes in the scene). As for the minimum overlap, I have used as little as about 1% with success, but that was a mistake on my part!

Max

nickfan

Post by nickfan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

maxlyons wrote:I generally aim for about 10-20% when shooting on a tripod unless I know that more overlap will be useful for some reason (e.g. motion or light changes in the scene). As for the minimum overlap, I have used as little as about 1% with success, but that was a mistake on my part!

Max
Hi Max,

Thanks for the reply. What is your success rate for 10-20% overlap? >99%?

Nick

julian kalmar

Post by julian kalmar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 am

nickfan wrote:
Thanks for the reply. What is your success rate for 10-20% overlap? >99%?

Nick
No!
The % of overlapping depends on your objekt.
If there are many details 10% is enough but if you are shooting mosaics, you very often have some parts where you have less details in the overlapping area and in this case 20% could be too less.
It´s very simple: You have the choice either to spend hours and hours for finding controlpoints manually, or to shoot some more images because of a little more overlapping.
I´m using between 20% and 25%.

Julian