camera orientation: portrait vs landscape mode.

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

nickfan

camera orientation: portrait vs landscape mode.

Post by nickfan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am

Most tele lens has a lens ring for mounting camera in portrait and landscape mode. I wonder if you have any preference of camera orientation when making high resolution mosaics? Is there any effect on the efficiency in photo taking?

Nick

Jim Z

Post by Jim Z » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 am

For me, portrait is easier to use and easier to see thru a SLR viewfinder; a SLR fits on the pano head better in portrait orientation. (I'm not a hi-rez panographer, more like medium rez panos)

PS NN3 is still perfect, thanks!
Jim Z

Mark Prins

Post by Mark Prins » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:24 pm

I like the vertical orientation myself. High Rez I have been shooting a lot with my 105 as of late.

Mark

imme

Post by imme » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:53 am

PTassember is an intelligent software. No matter what orientation u choose.

I shoot both vert and hor and found no problems. But majority of photographers like vertical orientation.

karlg

I mostly use horizontal

Post by karlg » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

For mosaics, I usually use horizontal orientation because it TENDS to reduce the problem of having both very near and very far objects in the shot. A big problem with mosaics is getting enough DOF since you are using a longer focal length than you would if you shot the whole scene in a single shot.

To allow me to shoot with the camera horizontal, I had to get L brackets for my cameras and and Arca Swiss style clamp to go on my NN5.

plph56

Vertical Orientation

Post by plph56 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:44 am

When taking panoramic photos I always prefer to use vertical orientation because it gives me more details in the vertical axis and leaves my photos not as long and wide as they would be from horizontal photos.

h-g-t

Portrait or landscape orientation

Post by h-g-t » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Much easier to set the camera when in normal orientation but you can always set it before putting it on the pano head.

Main advantage of portrait orientation is that you can sometimes get away with one row if you have to use a particular focal length rather then having to do two rows. Unless you have set the camera at the correct nodal point you risk parallax errors if you don't line up the shots in both rows (as I found to my cost).

And with 2 rows your stitching program is having to deal with 4 sets of data where they all overlap instead of just two, which might increase the risk of errors or distortion.
Inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination .....