Half-Gigapixel Image - but tools to PP and display

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

Half-Gigapixel Image - but tools to PP and display

Post by seigell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:55 am

I've finally done it - my first halfway respectable 500Megapixel Pano (37869x13409). It appears to have 2 minor stitching errors and one blending error.
It's an image of Yosemite Valley from a cliff-side viewpoint along the 8mile aptly named Panorama Trail near Illilouette Falls.
(The backside of Half Dome is featured, but none of the waterfalls are visible.)
But what tools can I use to consistently view and post-process an image this size ?? It's 662MB as a compressed 8-bit TIFF. Photoshot Elements 8 fails to Open (error about File Type). IrfanView fails to Open (error Cannot Allocate Memory).
ACDSee 2009 can Open in file browser / image viewer (but topples after multiple Zoom operations and fails to Open in either Image Editor mode).

ColetaSoft

Post by ColetaSoft » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 am

Photoshop or the GIMP should take good care of you. PSCS5 works remarkably well with large images; given you have the necessary resources ;)

I´m working on a 50342x16249px (just under 800mp) pano a lot more comfortably than some much smaller panos used to be in previous versions os PS.

seigell

Post by seigell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Curious... What file format did you render your Pano ??
TIFF ?? Or PSD or PSB ?? If the latter, what are you using to perform the Blend ??

I've got PSE8, but would much rather invest the funds needed for PSCS5 on another lens or a photo vacation.

GIMP - I've tried to get my head around the different UI approach, but only rather limited success. Any tutorials available regarding use to blend large files ??

ColetaSoft

Post by ColetaSoft » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:06 pm

I used PTGUI to output a simple TIFF file (yes, it suggested PSB, but I´ll use TIFF if available ;) ).

Why I used PTGUI is simple, control point helpers with PTA are... "troublesome". The newer (and faster) ones choke on my 21MP files, and the older ones are rather slow. Also, the live preview helped on the row of manually placed shots containing sky and clouds; but that part would have been done just as easily in PTA.

Try GIMPshop, a variant of GIMP that *mostly* resembles the "classic" PS UI.