Minimum Percetage overlap for >400mm lens

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

nickfan

Minimum Percetage overlap for >400mm lens

Post by nickfan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 am

Hi,

Are there any people who make pano/ mosaic using a >400mm (35mm eq.)? I want to know the practical minimum percetage overlap you use in the field. I can imagine some vibration in the tripod and pano head due to mirror flipping and/ or some winds. This may change the angle of the lens (let's call it vibration angle) and reduce the overlap in some direction. Depending on the angle of view of lens (fov), this vibration angle can be a significant % of fov. On the other hand, due to the small fov and the large number of shots to take, one would like to keep the overlap to minimum.
So any one have some real experience to share?

Thx a lot in advance.

Nick

elf

Re: Minimum Percetage overlap for >400mm lens

Post by elf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 am

Changing the overlap won't help with shutter or wind vibration. You'll just get blurry images. 10% to 20% is the recommended overlap. I don't think it changes for focal length.

nickfan

Post by nickfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:09 pm

well, I assume the shutter speed is at the safe zone.

Thx for the reply. Good to know 20% is enough.

Nick

h-g-t

Post by h-g-t » Sat May 26, 2012 7:39 am

The required overlap is a function of the scene, not the lens.

If you are shooting an extremely varied subject, such as a street scene, a low overlap is probably ok because the program is likely to find lots of unique points to align the images.

Try shooting something which is very uniform, such as foliage or a grassy field and you might have to increase it quite a bit.

Best to look at the scene before deciding, after all, digital photos are cheap, but if you shoot too few the entire pano might be difficult (or even impossible) to stitch.
Inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination .....