High resolution

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

dickdodge

High resolution

Post by dickdodge » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Hey there,

I have been using PTassembler for over a year now and have had very good results with panoramas. My largest number of mages is twenty two. That is two rows of eleven images. No problems with the panorama but my main interest is super high resolution and I see very little improvement in the resolution. In fact in the twenty-two image mentioned above I see little or no improvement in resolution in, for example, a center image and the same location in the panorama. Should I be using more images and more rows? If so, roughly, how large a mosaic should I construct before I start seeing a significant improvement in resolution?

Thanks in advance
dickdodge
email: dickdodge@embarqmail.com

johnh

Re: High resolution

Post by johnh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:18 am

The significant factor affecting the maximum image resolution obtainable is not the number of images but the focal length of the lens. Longer focal length lenses will capture more detail owing to their narrower angle of view, but - as a consequence - more images will in general be needed to cover a given field of view.

Wolverine@MSU

Re: High resolution

Post by Wolverine@MSU » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:45 am

dickdodge wrote:No problems with the panorama but my main interest is super high resolution and I see very little improvement in the resolution. In fact in the twenty-two image mentioned above I see little or no improvement in resolution in, for example, a center image and the same location in the panorama.
PTAssembler can't inrease the resolution inherent in the source images. As johnh pointed out, the only way to increase resolution is to take more photos at a longer focal length.