newbie hello

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

decy

newbie hello

Post by decy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 am

hello i'm decy i've just arrived, and want to learn a bit about how to shoot good quality landscapes and also landscape panoramas, i plan to take a series of images and later stitch them together, i have a canon 400d with standard 18-55 kit lens, i am going to buy a tripod and panorama head (and maybe another lens if this will improve the images), can anyone advise what i should buy and any other tips would be great, thank you very much

johnh

Re: newbie hello

Post by johnh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:19 am

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you don't rush into buying any more equipment. You already have all you need for taking your first steps in shooting landscape panoramas. All the panoramas here: http://www.johnhpanos.com/panos.htm (except the first) were shot with a handheld camera. Once you have mastered the basics of stitching, you will be in a better position to make an informed choice of tripod and panorama head. Almost any tripod will do, yet you may find it difficult to find the ideal one for your particular purposes. You have to juggle with conflicting priorities: cost, portability, rigidity, ease of use. There's some information on panoheads available at http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/panohead.jsp and Max has a few equipment reviews here on this site. Nodal Ninja heads are popular and recommendable, but pay particular attention to the rotators, as the available detent positions impose limitations on the focal lengths of lenses that it's practical to use: the longer the focal length, the smaller the angle of view, and the angular increments between shots needs to be correspondingly smaller.

John

Jim Zuccaro

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:30 pm

I'll second what johnh wrote; I suggest that you start stitching pictures now, with hand-held pictures, and then you will know much more about what you might need latter for equipment. (What you have now can make excellent panos! The best panoramas and mosaic images that I have made have been from hand held photos, with an older version of your camera.) The most important thing, I think, is mastering a photo stitching program. PTAssembler is the best stitching program, for me. It is not very much a one button, automatic everything, photo-stitching-magic program. But it is the most powerful, does-the-most stitching program. Like Photoshop vs everything else.

Try using PTAssembler. Please post a pano! It'll work, even the first time. ;-)

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:20 am

If people are honest with them selves, they will admit that we all have loads of redundant equipment that we have bought in haste.
The pano life cycle for many of us goes something like this...
We first try stitching a few pans with what ever equipment we have.
The first results go from not bad to terrible... passing through weird and unimaginable on the way.
We then blame lack of the right equipment, and go on a buying spree.
The new results seem very little different to the first ones.
If we persist, and some do not... we come to the conclusion that it is our lack of knowledge that is messing with us.
So we work through the learning curve that we should have done in the first place.
Which ever software you settle on, learn every thing you can about it (I use PTAssembler) But then I do not do 360x180 VR's which are not its forte.

Only buy additional equipment when you know for a fact that you need it.

It is perhaps surprising how many of us, who have a full set of Pano brackets and tripods, have gone back to taking a vast majority of our pans hand held.
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs