extracting a perspectively correct flat image from a pano

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

John

extracting a perspectively correct flat image from a pano

Post by John » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi Everyone, I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section - I believe I did a search for my topic but came up empty.

I started shooting and stitching since 1997 but took a very long break from it and I am now wanting to get back into it. I have, in the past, printed some amazing panoramic images shot with 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and longer lenses. Now I am using an 8mm Sigma on a crop sensor camera along with Nodal Ninja and I can stitch my images quite well. What I am after is a method to extract from the stitched file, a perspectively correct flat image. I am not talking about a flat image of the entire 360 degrees but rather 120 - 180 degrees.

Is there software out there that allows us to do this?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

johnh

Re: extracting a perspectively correct flat image from a pan

Post by johnh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:04 am

John wrote:What I am after is a method to extract from the stitched file, a perspectively correct flat image. I am not talking about a flat image of the entire 360 degrees but rather 120 - 180 degrees.
It's not possible to do this without accepting some degree of distortion that may or may not be objectionable, depending on the output projection and the subject. See http://www.tawbaware.com/projections.htm. A forum search for "recti-perspective" and "panini" will bring up many examples.

John