Panorama of flat artwork

Discussion forum for techniques and issues relating to the creation of panoramic and/or "mosaic" images

Moderator: spamkiller

wells

Panorama of flat artwork

Post by wells » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi, I’m a beginner and tried to make a panoramic of some artwork and photographs. The subject matter is architecture so there are a lot of straight lines. I rented a Cannon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro lens. Even though the specs on the lens say minimum focusing distance is 12”, I shot at 7” from the artwork to make a three row 21 shot panorama. I also backed up some to make 6 shot single row panoramas of the same subjects, but the result was the same. The horizontal lines had barrel distortion. I tried every setting in Photoshop I could think of but the auto setting produced the best result, which was still bad.

The set up I used was that I screwed a tripod down to a nice piece of plywood. I laid out a grid and moved the artwork around from shot to shot. I did not have all the settings on the camera set to manual though, could this cause so much distortion? Anything I should do different next time? Would a 150 or 180mm lens provide better results by letting me shoot farther from the subject? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

johnh

Re: Panorama of flat artwork

Post by johnh » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:05 pm