Staircase

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

Staircase

Postby ronbrown » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am

The Giuseppe Momos double helix staircase:

I took five handheld images at 5 second intervals. I stacked them in ptassembler, and removed the tourist. The one guy didn't move.

Its not perfect, especially the blown highlights, but a 30 x 20 print looks great.
Ron
ronbrown

Re: Staircase

Postby maxlyons » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:59 am

Ron,

Very nice. I think you and I must have made the same trip to all the tourist hot-spots in Rome last year! I hope to post my pictures from Rome soon. When I was here (Vatican Museums), it was towards the end of a grey, rainy day and there was very little natural light. I had an extremely hard time getting sharp, hand-held pictures because of the slow shutter speeds. Did you have any trouble with this?

Max
maxlyons

Postby DJMoore » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:54 pm

The single individual really helps provide scale and presence, I wouldn't want it any other way. Beautiful. I think in a couple more years cameras like the D3s will be more approachable to more folks and make such low light shooting less troublesome (or impossible). A D700 does very well too, but just not as well.
DJMoore

Postby luigi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Great image I love it!
luigi

Postby Jim Zuccaro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Ron,

Very cool! That is a very good looking picture.
Jim Zuccaro

Postby ronbrown » Sun May 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for the comments. I too have grown to like the lone figure, but only after desaturating the color from his fluorescent red shirt. I didn't have much problem with low light probably because it was very sunny during our trip because the 5dmkii does well in low light conditions. I did travel for the first time with a Benro tripod I got on B&H.

Here is one more pano from the interior of St. Peters:

It is made up of 6 images (2x3) and has a couple of obvious stitching errors in the column just to the left of center. This is image was stitched in photoshop because I could not get better results from PTA. I suspect user error.

Even with the stiching errors, I like this image (especially the shaft of light coming through the dome at the top left) and use it as my desktop.

Lastly, here is a painting from 1731 with about the same view:

Ron
ronbrown

Postby dsp » Mon May 02, 2011 4:31 pm

I really like the staircase. I think I would clone out the left foreground OOF object just for kicks.
cheers, Darcy
dsp

Postby panapants » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 am

Ron,

These are my favorite kinds of images. Its like you took your memories and made them concrete. The staircase gives me chills. I have seen a few other photogrpahers try to do the same thing with staircases, but this is quite exceptional. After reading online reviews it seems like some people get too caught up with the 'spin' that they neglect other things. Have you ever heard of angies list for online photography reviews?
panapants

Return to Image Galleries