Another Berkeley sunset

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

dsp

Another Berkeley sunset

Post by dsp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Visiting my old stomping grounds last month, I had to pause to take a familiar picture. Not a particularly novel scene, but I like seeing the progress of construction on the eastern span of the Bay Bridge.
cheers, dsp

dsjtecserv

Re: Another Berkeley sunset

Post by dsjtecserv » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 pm

I love the gradient in the sky. I bet the detail is fantastic in the larger size. How many frames?

You must have been up at LBNL, or higher up the hill. I had the same view when I was there almost exactly a year ago, but in the evening I was down at the park next to the marina, and had a similar sunset. Got to process that pano one of these days!

Dave

dsp

Post by dsp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 am

Hi Dave,
Yup, I was up at LBL. There is a hill that I always climb that takes you near the edge of the property. After spending 11 years there, I know some of the sneaky ways of getting around to high places...

The pic is about 30 frames, 15x2, with the upper ones just sky, and aligned manually relying on the vernier measurements of my tripod for the pitch and yaw measurements. I also did manual exposure adjustments in my raw processor to minimize banding. The final pic is about 500 Mpix. Here is a crop of a section of the bay bridge and GG...( I see the conversion to srgb and 8 bit jpg kills some of the detail but ...)

and

BTW, I'm still waiting for your shots from the bay area...

Rogers

Post by Rogers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Awesome colours and view, but I have to say I'd like a bit more foreground for context. I'm sure at larger sizes it's easy to see the various landmarks, but at this size a sky-majority shot is hard to read.

Jim Zuccaro

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Darcy, nice view! I, too would like to see it in a larger view.

Last year I went to the Bay Area, for the first time in a few years. For the first time that I've gone there, I took a camera and tripod, and intentionally set out to take pictures. It is very difficult to take pictures there! I hardly got a picture or two! Makes me admire more the city pictures that you take.

zakkariya

Post by zakkariya » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 am

Good stuff. Color combination of photos are superb.