40 minutes long exposure

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

Boris

40 minutes long exposure

Post by Boris » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 pm

There is a long building in Washington DC, a part of the American University complex, which once gave me an idea of taking a series of exposures as the day transitions into the night.
So, well over four years ago, I took a sequence of over 30 photos while walking along its West-facing facade. The photos were finally processed in the last two weeks.

The image was stitched in Photoshop. I do not remember seeing similar concept, except for one Max Lyon’s photo of Key Bridge, also here in DC, where the transition from light to dark was much more subtle.

Is it believable? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Boris Feldblyum
http://www.bfcollection.net

maxlyons

Re: 40 minutes long exposure

Post by maxlyons » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Boris,

It looks remarkably good considering the dramatic change in lighting over 40 minutes. The disjointed car headlights are the only thing that I immediately noticed. I can also see some banding in the sky and road, but it is pretty subtle.

I don't remember doing this with a shot of Key Bridge (but perhaps I did), but I did do something similar here.

Max

Boris

Re: 40 minutes long exposure

Post by Boris » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Thank you Max,

I actually found this photo of yours just a few minutes ago. It is beautiful, although the starry sky portion looks a bit lite for my taste.

To be fair, the right portion of my own photo of the Katzen Art Center looks too dark for my taste, but this was an experiment and I learned the important lesson: dusk period in mid-January is too short. Doing the same “walk” in mid-March would give more time. The last two-three frames were taken in almost complete darkness. I saw better night shots of this building, with the more pleasing wall colors.

The sky is 100% photoshop. After trying to blend 2-3 frames, I decided life was too short to realistically blend 22 frames, so I created the sky, applied gradient, changed opacity, etc. The full image is 16x106in @ 300 dpi.

Your photo of Key Bridge was taken from the Roosevelt Island, centered on the boat house, more-less; I did not see it just now in your image catalog.

Boris