Lake Michigan at Night

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

Lake Michigan at Night

Post by maxlyons » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Here are a couple of scenes of Lake Michigan taken long after sunset on a couple of moonless nights last month. These were taken near Michigan City on the border between Indiana and Michigan. The first scene is illuminated by a combination of the bonfire, streetlights and light pollution from Chicago (visible on the horizon across the lake). The second scene is illuminated primarily by street and house lights.

Larger version here.

Larger version here.

Max

dsp

Re: Lake Michigan at Night

Post by dsp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:34 pm

maxlyons wrote: The first scene is illuminated by a combination of the bonfire, streetlights and light pollution from Chicago (visible on the horizon across the lake).
I always find these shots a challenge to render... I checked these out when first posted, and liked them, but a few things seemed a little off in the first. I think your style of photoediting leans toward the less, the better, but I think it would help #1. The RHS sky seems dark, and with a rather abrupt transition (which may have actually been the case). I think brightening it a bit would smooth out the shot, and then upping the blue a bit on the green casted sand. I made an animated gif of the adjustments, but the 256 color limit gif isn't ideal.

In #2, I like that you can see the milky way.
cheers, dsp