A couple of boat panoramas

Discussion forum for images in Max Lyons' and other image galleries...post links to your own images here

Moderator: spamkiller

Jim Zuccaro

A couple of boat panoramas

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Here is an ideal subject for pano photos; a long, low and slender boat.

I took the photos for the panorama without knowing what to expect. At first it was a failure. The boat moved and rocked in the water between photos. There were too many discrepancies between the images; the result was a nest of stitching errors. In the end, I optimized the photos at the shear line of the boat and manually blended a layered PSB output file; using the PS warp tool above and below the optimized shear line fixed the discrepancies between adjacent photos.

And that brings up a question: I haven't used the morph-to-fit function of the stitcher. Which stitcher supports the morph function?

Thanks, Jim Z

Jim Zuccaro

Re: A couple of boat panoramas

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:01 am

Never mind the question that I posted... I just now read the documentation!

Max, I hadn't read any of the PTA documentation in a few years. The PTA documentation is outstanding! That's an enormous amount of work. Thanks!

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 am

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear someone has read the documentation!

Another idea you might try is to make use of the camera position parameters in this case. Optimizing the camera position parameters for every other image in the panorama (e.g. image 1, 3 and 5 in a single row), can sometimes help. The camera position parameters weren't designed for this purpose, but I have had some luck in "forcing" things to fit this way.

Max

Jim Zuccaro

Post by Jim Zuccaro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Max,

I've just tried re-optimizing the first of the panos above, and experimented with optimizing the camera position parameters. Using the camera position parameters does make an improvement, with this project.

The pano is nine images, taken from another boat. The boats were floating around all the while, so there are large parallax errors. The pano was optimized from the center outward, and the avg control point distance error was 17. (the control points are the screw heads on the chrome rub rail)

Optimizing from the center outward, one pic at a time, using the camera position optimization, the average control point error is about one half as large, about 7 pix. The result also has much less distortion. (the first project had a big banana-curve that was somewhat corrected with the PS warp tool)

Thanks for the tip!

panhobby

Post by panhobby » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Your result is quite good.

By the way, those boats are very beautiful, they look like the typical boats in Venice.

In the past, I tried to do some panoramic pictures of the sea, and I found very difficult to manage the waves.
Between two pictures, the wave have difference shapes that are very difficult to stitch seamlessly.

Thanks

PH
——————————————————-
LE SITE DE LA PHOTO PANORAMIQUE / MY PANORAMIC WEBSITE
Visitez photoplanet360.fr