PTAssembler 6.0 Released

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

PTAssembler 6.0 Released

Post by maxlyons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 pm

I have just released PTAssembler 6.0. This is a major upgrade to PTAssembler 5.0, which was released in 2009.

PTAssembler 6.0 includes all of the new features that were previewed in beta versions of (and originally intended to be released as part of the official release of) PTAssembler 5.1. PTAssembler 6.0 also includes a number of new features such as photometric adjustments. PTAssembler 5.1 is now replaced with PTAssembler 6.0. A partial list of new features in PTAssembler 6.0 includes:
A complete list of the new features, bug-fixes and changes in this version is here.

Download links for PTAssembler 6.0 (32 and 64 bit versions) are here.

Max

PSHRutPark

Re: PTAssembler 6.0 Released

Post by PSHRutPark » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 am

Hello Max.

Thanks very much for the update of PTA to version 6.0.

Am continuing to use PTA on a regular basis.

Was also interested to read in another of your threads that VB6 is now going to be supported through Windows 8.

Cheers

Peter
http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

dsp

Post by dsp » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Max,

This is a fantastic new feature and really rescues a bunch of problematic panos that I have, as well as allowing for nice results even with a point-and-shoot set to AWB and varying exposure settings. The chart feature is nice too, and I get to see how shockingly vignetted some lens/aperture combinations really are!
cheers, Darcy

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks Max looks amazing.
and such a lot of effort...a total rewrite it seems.

It all adds up to a godsend for people doing hand helds as their main option.
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks all. I just posted a minor update that should solve a bug that some people encountered due to a dependency on a missing Microsoft DLL file. If you aren't experiencing the problem, there really isn't any need to update, but it won't hurt either!

Max

Punkie

Post by Punkie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello Max

Thanks for the release of PTAssembler 6, specially for the 64 bits release.
I've been fiddling and testing around with it this and it works flawless.

I've been searching for 64 bits plugins for control point generators and blenders for getting optimal benefit of a 64 bits system.

Found 64 bits versions for Autopano SIFT and Autopano SIFT-C. That in an unofficial experimental 64 bits of hugin which I downloaded some time ago.
Tested it and it works in PTAssembler 64 bits release. Didn't test it on speed, but 64 bits seems faster.

For Panomatic I didn't find one.

For Autopano no 64 bits version and it doesn't work on Windows 7 64 bit in 32 bits compatibility.
I've installed Windows XP and run PTAssembler on it for generating CP's with autopano.
Autopano gives me often the best results.

Cpfind is a spinoff and further development of Panomatic in the opensource Hugin community not plagued with possible patent issues.Tried to run cpfind 64 bits of Hugin. It runs, but don't create the outputfile because I don't know how to give the good parameters for the output file.
Perhaps someone knows how to do it in PTAssembler.

Blenders

Multiblend of David Horman is already in 32 and 64 bits as a possible replacement of Enblend.

Smartblend only 32 bits.

Enblend has a 32 bits and 64 bits version, packed in the official hugin 2011.4 download on sourceforge.
On the official Enblend site there is only a 32 bits version.
You can download there both versions of Hugin in a 7-zip file and extract Hugin.
In the binaries folder is Enblend, which you can copy to PTAssembler. cpfind is in the same binaries folder

64 bits versions not tested on speed gain

Further found that Autopano SIFT-C of Tom Sharpless is gone from his website for download, which you have as link in your manual.

A small annoyance is that under the ? button in the control point screen, where you get the list of keyboardshortcuts the masking command is not mentioned.
CTRL+ALT left mouseclick you can only find in the Help file.

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Punkie wrote: Thanks for the release of PTAssembler 6, specially for the 64 bits release.
I've been fiddling and testing around with it this and it works flawless.
Great. That is good news. It is always nerve-racking to create a new release...no matter how much testing one does, it is hard to be sure how it will work for others!

On the question of control point pickers, I have had good luck with Panomatic. However, this has been an item that I would like to tackle for a while now...writing my own control point picker. I have done some research and have some ideas, but nothing coded yet. I wanted to get the photometric adjustment feature coded first.
Multiblend of David Horman is already in 32 and 64 bits as a possible replacement of Enblend.
I have looked briefly at David's blender and am impressed. I definitely plan to add more explicit support for it in future versions.
A small annoyance is that under the ? button in the control point screen, where you get the list of keyboardshortcuts the masking command is not mentioned.
CTRL+ALT left mouseclick you can only find in the Help file.
Nice catch! I'll update this.

Thanks,

Max

nickfan

Post by nickfan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 am

Hi Max,

Good to see the new release with great enhancements. The upgrade is free?
Personally, I don't mind paying for major upgrade if it allows you to devote more time to the enhancement.

Nick

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

nickfan wrote:Good to see the new release with great enhancements. The upgrade is free?
Thanks. Yes...free for existing users.

Max

bvail

Post by bvail » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Thank you for the update. I've been a registered user for years and love it. I have a 64 bit Windows computer now, so I downloaded the 64 bit version of 6.0.1, ptasmblrx64.zip. The installer wanted to put it in the Program Files (x86)\PTAsmblr folder, probably because that is where my old version is. It seems like it should go in the Program Files folder (not x86). Do I have to uninstall the old version first, and what folder should it be installed in? Thanks.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:51 pm

bvail wrote:Thank you for the update. I've been a registered user for years and love it. I have a 64 bit Windows computer now, so I downloaded the 64 bit version of 6.0.1, ptasmblrx64.zip. The installer wanted to put it in the Program Files (x86)\PTAsmblr folder, probably because that is where my old version is. It seems like it should go in the Program Files folder (not x86). Do I have to uninstall the old version first, and what folder should it be installed in? Thanks.
Good question.

Short answer: You don't have to uninstall first, but it is highly recommended. It should go in the "x86" folder, regardless of which version you downloaded.

Long answer: What I call "PTAssembler" is actually a suite of many different programs. The main program is the Graphical User Interface (GUI) and this is the program that the user interacts with (clicking buttons, menus, changing screens, etc). The other programs in the suite are command-line programs that the GUI program invokes when needed (this generally all happens "behind the scenes" so you don't need to know or care about this). These command line programs do all of the "heavy lifting" (i.e. processor and memory intensive work) in creating the final output, and now have 32 and 64 bit versions. However, the main GUI program is still a 32 bit executable, so the installer defaults to the x86 directory. Due to language constraints, I can't create a 64 bit version of the GUI program, but it wouldn't make much of a difference even if I could. There would be no appreciable gain in speed or efficiency from doing so, since nothing that the GUI program does is particularly processor/memory intensive.

Max

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Max,

not posted here for some time. I have been working on some Panoramas recently, one in particular seemed like a great candidate to take advantage of the exposure adjustment in version 6, so I gave it a try.

There are 130 individual images in the Panorama, the exposure optimization seems to work but then when I try to "Create" it runs for a while and then crashes, saying PTAStitcher has stopped responding, the console app says . . .

*** Error: At least one output file from the stitching program cannot be found

it seems it found the first 23 but not the rest.

Is there a log I can look at that will tell me if all the files were optimized for exposure ? what is the best way of tracking down what is wrong ?

PS. This will give you an idea of why it needs the exposure adjustment . . www.MarsPanos.com

bvail

Post by bvail » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:06 pm

maxlyons wrote:
bvail wrote:Thank you for the update. I've been a registered user for years and love it. I have a 64 bit Windows computer now, so I downloaded the 64 bit version of 6.0.1, ptasmblrx64.zip. The installer wanted to put it in the Program Files (x86)\PTAsmblr folder, probably because that is where my old version is. It seems like it should go in the Program Files folder (not x86). Do I have to uninstall the old version first, and what folder should it be installed in? Thanks.
Good question.

Short answer: You don't have to uninstall first, but it is highly recommended. It should go in the "x86" folder, regardless of which version you downloaded.

Long answer: What I call "PTAssembler" is actually a suite of many different programs. The main program is the Graphical User Interface (GUI) and this is the program that the user interacts with (clicking buttons, menus, changing screens, etc). The other programs in the suite are command-line programs that the GUI program invokes when needed (this generally all happens "behind the scenes" so you don't need to know or care about this). These command line programs do all of the "heavy lifting" (i.e. processor and memory intensive work) in creating the final output, and now have 32 and 64 bit versions. However, the main GUI program is still a 32 bit executable, so the installer defaults to the x86 directory. Due to language constraints, I can't create a 64 bit version of the GUI program, but it wouldn't make much of a difference even if I could. There would be no appreciable gain in speed or efficiency from doing so, since nothing that the GUI program does is particularly processor/memory intensive.

Max
Max, thanks for your reply. I successfully uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. To see if it was working I loaded a series of images and clicked the auto create. It worked! Now I'll have to investigate the new features.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 am

RaptorUK wrote:*** Error: At least one output file from the stitching program cannot be found
I have recently become aware of a problem that can cause this issue. There is a subtle bug in the PTAStitcher code that seems to cause a crash in the 64 bit version of PTAStitcher, but apparently not in the 32 bit version. In any case, I have identified and coded a solution to the problem, and am currently testing it. If all goes well, I'll post an update to PTAssembler soon (hopefully in the next day or two). Can you test with that version when it becomes available? I think it may fix the problem.
Is there a log I can look at that will tell me if all the files were optimized for exposure ?
Yes. Immediately after running the photometric optimizer the "Show Summary Charts" button should become enabled. It shows a nice summary of all the adjustments that have been made to each variable. Here is an example. Having used the photometric optimization for a while now, I have noticed that in some cases (depending on the images and how well aligned they are) optimizing the response-curve can make things worse. If you run into trouble, I suggest resetting all photometric adjustments to zero, and unchecking the "Fine-tune response curve" checkbox before running the photometric optimizer again.

Max

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 am

maxlyons wrote: I have recently become aware of a problem that can cause this issue. There is a subtle bug in the PTAStitcher code that seems to cause a crash in the 64 bit version of PTAStitcher, but apparently not in the 32 bit version. In any case, I have identified and coded a solution to the problem, and am currently testing it. If all goes well, I'll post an update to PTAssembler soon (hopefully in the next day or two). Can you test with that version when it becomes available? I think it may fix the problem.
Ah OK, I am running the 64 bit version so that might explain my problem.

Happy to test whenever you are ready . . .
maxlyons wrote:Yes. Immediately after running the photometric optimizer the "Show Summary Charts" button should become enabled. It shows a nice summary of all the adjustments that have been made to each variable. Here is an example. Having used the photometric optimization for a while now, I have noticed that in some cases (depending on the images and how well aligned they are) optimizing the response-curve can make things worse. If you run into trouble, I suggest resetting all photometric adjustments to zero, and unchecking the "Fine-tune response curve" checkbox before running the photometric optimizer again.

Max
I have looked at the summary charts and they seemed OK, I must admit I didn't count the number of images it said it had optimized, I'm running it again now and I'll check. I have tried with and without optimization of the response curve.

I have just run the Exposure adjustment again, the summary chart shows a horizontal bar for each image. Another thing that suggests that the Exposure adjustment works for all images, I caught the final text in the console window. It is PTAStitcher causing a problem when I try to Create.