PTAssembler 6.0 Released

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

RaptorUK

Re: PTAssembler 6.0 Released

Post by RaptorUK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 am

Sorry Max, the Exposure adjustment was a red herring, I assumed it was causing my problem. I get a crash of PTAstitcher even if I don't perform the exposure adjustment.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm

RaptorUK wrote:Sorry Max, the Exposure adjustment was a red herring, I assumed it was causing my problem. I get a crash of PTAstitcher even if I don't perform the exposure adjustment.
Yes. The bug I identified is unrelated to the exposure adjustment, and has existed for a long time. The strange thing is that it only seems to cause a crash in the 64 bit program. At least, I haven't seen it in the 32 bit version, but perhaps I have just been lucky!

In any case, I'll post a new version soon.

Max

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:47 pm

maxlyons wrote:
RaptorUK wrote:Sorry Max, the Exposure adjustment was a red herring, I assumed it was causing my problem. I get a crash of PTAstitcher even if I don't perform the exposure adjustment.
Yes. The bug I identified is unrelated to the exposure adjustment, and has existed for a long time. The strange thing is that it only seems to cause a crash in the 64 bit program. At least, I haven't seen it in the 32 bit version, but perhaps I have just been lucky!
Perhaps I should download the 32bit version and try my Pano in that, if that works then I will have a workable solution and you will have some confirmation that the issue is just in the 64 bit version.

Will give it a try in a short while, I have some code to fix first.

mewallis

Post by mewallis » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Punkie wrote: Cpfind is a spinoff and further development of Panomatic in the opensource Hugin community not plagued with possible patent issues.Tried to run cpfind 64 bits of Hugin. It runs, but don't create the outputfile because I don't know how to give the good parameters for the output file.
Perhaps someone knows how to do it in PTAssembler.

Henk Tijdink
The basic Cpfind command line string is nearly identical to Panomatic, except it requires a input file of image names instead of a string of image names:

panomatic -o output IMG1 ... IMGn
cpfind -o output.pto input.pto

To use Cpfind, open images in PTA and save a project file. Then open that project file in Hugin, go to the "Images" tab and press the "Create control points" button. Save a new project file and open it in PTA. Very straightforward since Hugin automatically saves its project file in the same folder as the PTA project file.

NOTE: I don't use Hugin itself because it doesn't support Smartblend, which does a masterful job of blending my hand-held panoramas.

Max, could you PLEASE add Cpfind as a CP finder. I shoot mostly hand-held panos and Cpfind works much better than any other finder I have used. My only complaint with it is that I sometimes have to add a few manual points on a relatively featureless sky-earth boundary.

TIA, Mike Wallis

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:01 pm

RaptorUK wrote: Perhaps I should download the 32bit version and try my Pano in that, if that works then I will have a workable solution and you will have some confirmation that the issue is just in the 64 bit version.

Will give it a try in a short while, I have some code to fix first.
Just tried the 32bit version . . . works great. Going to bed now but will try again in the Morning with the original images . . the ones I used tonight were mostly already adjusted using some not very effective techniques.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 pm

I just posted (what I hope will be) a fix for this problem in PTAssembler 6.02. It can be downloaded from PTAssembler's page.

I would be grateful to anyone who has experienced this problem to report on their experience with this new version.

Thanks,

Max

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 am

maxlyons wrote:I just posted (what I hope will be) a fix for this problem in PTAssembler 6.02. It can be downloaded from PTAssembler's page.

I would be grateful to anyone who has experienced this problem to report on their experience with this new version.
Tried 6.02 x64, works just fine on my 130 image pano, thanks Max :-)

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 am

RaptorUK wrote:Tried 6.02 x64, works just fine on my 130 image pano, thanks Max :-)
Before, without any exposure/vignetting adjustment . . .

After . .

This has done a great job and saved me lots and lots of time, thanks Max.

Wolverine@MSU

Post by Wolverine@MSU » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:17 pm

RaptorUK: You must have travelled a long way away to get those photos! ;)

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Good news. Thanks for testing. Glad it fixed the problem.

Max

RaptorUK

Post by RaptorUK » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

Wolverine@MSU wrote:RaptorUK: You must have travelled a long way away to get those photos! ;)
LOL, just as far as my keyboard, they are all available here: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=3

Ant

Post by Ant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Just trying to move over to a recent 64bit Win 7 installation but I'm having a real job finding a 64bit control point picker...

The panomaitc domain seems to be down at the moment... anyone know of any other mirrors?

Cheers
Ant

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 am

I was able to download Panomatic from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/panomatic/

Max

Ant

Post by Ant » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:48 am

Thanks Max - I thought I needed the 64 bit version if I was using 64 bit PTA, but the 32 seems to work fine!