What current Noise Preprocessing Apps ??

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

What current Noise Preprocessing Apps ??

Post by seigell » Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Since it seems that both NeatImage and GREYCstoration have "moved on", what are PTA users doing for "Integrated Noise Preprocessing" ??

Are they opting to purchase either "Home" or "Pro" versions of NeatImage to get the ability to output 100% JPGs and 8-bit TIFF ?? Or is "Demo" still viable/sufficient ??
Are they using some workaround so as to leverage the GREYCstoration plug-in for GIMP or ImageMagick ??

Or has everyone opted to pursue De-Noise operations outside of PTA ??

(I've found that I cannot recover these older apps after a HDD Failure - and am rebuilding my PTA environment...)

maxlyons

Re: What current Noise Preprocessing Apps ??

Post by maxlyons » Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 pm

seigell wrote:Since it seems that both NeatImage and GREYCstoration have "moved on", what are PTA users doing for "Integrated Noise Preprocessing" ??
Hope you don't mind if add a followup question: Are folks actually using the noise pre-processing features in PTAssembler? As I continue to ponder what to do with PTAssembler pending Microsoft's on-again/off-again support for VB, I'm thinking about rewriting PTAssembler in another language. If I do that, I will probably do some "house-cleaning" and remove some of the lesser used features. I suspect that noise pre-processing falls into that category, but would like feedback from folks who find this useful.

Thanks,

Max

WWG

Re: What current Noise Preprocessing Apps ??

Post by WWG » Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 am

Although I have NeatImage Pro and NIK's Dfine, I've been using Lightroom 4's noise processing exclusively. The self-calibrating processes like Dfine and NeatImage leave blotchy color residues on very high ISO images while Lightroom, even though it doesn't use a calibration scheme, does a better, cleaner job. I apply Lightroom's noise processing to raw files before exporting tifs for PTA to use, or for focus stacking in Tufuse Pro. (Most of my focus stacks are less than 15 or 20 images so noise buildup is minimal if I do light noise reduction in Lightroom first.
Werner