focus stacking problem

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

sballering

focus stacking problem

Post by sballering » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi,

I'm using PT Assembler 6.0 rev 2 to do focus stacking and the blending to a single layer tif output.

I select the images which show up in the list under step 1

I select step 5 change the output file type to blended, single layer TIFF

I click on the stitching/blending/stacking options button. > stacking options set to stack images that appear to be related based on position
I click on the config button> set truefuse to focus blend only ( have also tried auto) the switches in Enblend are -a -v (C:\Program Files (x86)\PTAsmblr\enblend.exe)

I return to step 1 and hold the shift key down and click Auto Create.

The script runs but I can not locate where the file/s are saved. Also since I'm not sure where to set the path or file name I assume it saves it in the same folder where the source files are located with some type of name the software creates. A bit of insight on how this works may solve my problem.

I've used this feature before and have gotten great results but I don't use that often so I'm sure I'm doing something incorrect just not sure what.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Scott

I really like using PT Assembler because I tried the focus blending in PS cs6 and it gives me an output with a blurred edge on every stacked image not really good for panos.

maxlyons

Re: focus stacking problem

Post by maxlyons » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:11 pm

sballering wrote:The script runs but I can not locate where the file/s are saved. Also since I'm not sure where to set the path or file name I assume it saves it in the same folder where the source files are located with some type of name the software creates. A bit of insight on how this works may solve my problem.
PTAssembler should save the output file in the same directory as the input images. In fact, it should present a dialog for 10 seconds showing the name of the directory it will use to write the output file. If you don't see any of this, then my guess is that the control point picker program wasn't able to find enough control points to determine how to align the images, and so it couldn't create an output image.

You should be able to solve this by adjusting the control point picker program options, using a different control point picker, or manually adding control points where they are missing, and then optimizing/outputting the image manually.

Max

sballering

Post by sballering » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks Max,

I'm sure that the control point picker is having problems. I see the window come up showing the script running but never anything telling me a dir for the file.

The two images are a shot at F8 with a 300mm lens and are of a bush that is about 10 ft from the camera and the mountain that is about 1/2 mile . Since the bush is very blurry when focused on the mountain and vice-versa I'm not even sure I could manually pick them but if I could would I just open the two files manual place the points and then select the Shift>Auto Create button?

thanks
Scott

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 am

sballering wrote:would I just open the two files manual place the points and then select the Shift>Auto Create button?
Yes...I think that should help.

Max

sballering

Post by sballering » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Max,

I've tried a different set of 3 tif files to do focus stacking with. The tools runs the script but I get an error the one of the output files could not be found. I've tried to attach the zip file using the upload attachment tab below but I don't see that this reply post is getting posted.

here is a link to it. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... ile%2c.zip

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm

I tried your project and it worked fine for me.

One thing I noticed is that all of PTAssembler's temporary files are being written to the top-level of your c: drive. I wonder if you have specified a temporary file directory (on the Files/Dirs tab of the preferences screen)? Can you specify a directory (and create it if necessary) where PTAssembler can write temporary files (e.g. something like c:\temp)?

Please let me know if that solves the problem.

Thanks,

Max

sballering

Post by sballering » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks max
Creating a temp folder seems to have fixed the problem.

thanks for the help.