PTAssembler 64-bit

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

rancho

PTAssembler 64-bit

Post by rancho » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm

I have a couple of questions:

I have a 64-bit Win7 system and installed the latest PTA 64-bit software. There are two pre-installed Program folders on my System , one for 64-bit programs and the another (Program Files x86) which I understand is where 32-bit programs reside. All 'ptasmblrx64' files are parked in the latter. Are any of the applications that make up PTA running in 64-bit mode?

The other question has to do with blending software. In general, which is better, 64-bit Enblend or SmartBlend (v1.2.5)? What are the pros and cons? If it needs to be considered, system memory or speed will not be an issue, I have 16 gig of ram.

Thanks in advance,

Rancho

maxlyons

Re: PTAssembler 64-bit

Post by maxlyons » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 pm

rancho wrote:I have a 64-bit Win7 system and installed the latest PTA 64-bit software. There are two pre-installed Program folders on my System , one for 64-bit programs and the another (Program Files x86) which I understand is where 32-bit programs reside. All 'ptasmblrx64' files are parked in the latter. Are any of the applications that make up PTA running in 64-bit mode?
Yes...the programs that do all of the "heavy lifting" are running in 64 bit mode.

PTAssembler is, in fact, a suite of programs. In general, most folks only interact directly with the user interface, which is a 32 bit program. This program (which is responsible for showing the screens, buttons, dialogs, etc.) doesn't require a lot of memory or use a lot of computational resources, so there is no need for it to be a 64 bit program. However, the programs that do all of the real work (i.e. the stitcher, the optimizer, the control point picker, etc.) are all 64 bit programs and operate as such regardless of their location on the hard-drive.
The other question has to do with blending software. In general, which is better, 64-bit Enblend or SmartBlend (v1.2.5)? What are the pros and cons? If it needs to be considered, system memory or speed will not be an issue, I have 16 gig of ram.
I don't have an opinion on this, but would note that regardless of how much RAM you have installed, Smartblend can never use more than 2GB (a limitation of 32 bit programs). Despite this, I have found it is able to stitch surprisingly large panoramas.

Max

rancho

Post by rancho » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello, Max:

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

Some things I noticed:
When I opened the Preferences window, Panomatic had already been chosen as a control point picker but its location path led to PTApicker. Is Panomatic no longer an option? Note: I know of no reason to believe something other than PTApicker is necessary.

GREYCstoration is not being maintained by its creators. I found release 2.9 of the original application at another website, http://en.kioskea.net. GREYC Lab is offering something new and improved as a replacement called, G'MIC, but as a Gimp plugin. Will it work with PTA? As is painfully obvious, I am not a programmer so I don't know what to do with their files, much less what, if any, command line entries should be made.

Perhaps it is already implemented, if so I am missing it but is there an option where PTApicker does its thing then afterwards I am allowed to choose a reference image for color and/or exposure as well as being able to control where the horizon will display? Forgive my ignorance but it looks like it is either all automatic or all manual except for Optimize, no in-between - you have to manually pick points if you want additional control over the final image.

Thanks again!

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:21 pm

rancho wrote:When I opened the Preferences window, Panomatic had already been chosen as a control point picker but its location path led to PTApicker.
This sounds like a bug...I'll see if I can replicate it, determine the cause and fix it.
Is Panomatic no longer an option? Note: I know of no reason to believe something other than PTApicker is necessary.
Panomatic is still an option. I created PTAPicker recently and it works pretty well, but the algorithm in PTAPicker differs from Panomatic, and in some cases one or the program may do a better job.
GREYCstoration is not being maintained by its creators.
I'm planning on dropping support for this at some point in the future.
Perhaps it is already implemented, if so I am missing it but is there an option where PTApicker does its thing then afterwards I am allowed to choose a reference image for color and/or exposure as well as being able to control where the horizon will display?
Yes to all. There are lots of ways to go about this, but in general, you can generate control points (select all on step 1 and generate controlpoints), optimize on Step 4 (optionally picking a reference image), and change the horizon placement using the preview viewer. If you want to get more precise, you can set horizontal line and/or vertical line control points manually, and then optimize manually.

Forgive my ignorance but it looks like it is either all automatic or all manual except for Optimize, no in-between - you have to manually pick points if you want additional control over the final image.
No...that isn't right. You can combine as much automatic and/or manual processing as you like.

My recommendation would be to use the "autocreate" feature to generate a preview. And, then work from there. If the preview looks good, or needs minor positional adjustment you can probably just tweak the position in the preview viewer, and then generate a final image. You can also adjust the exposures at this point, and regenerate a preview.

If you want to something more, you can always go back and add control points (if needed or desired) on Step 3, and optimize on Step 4, prior to generating another preview (or final image) on Step 5.

The reference image for color/brightness adjustment is chosen on the "Exposure,whitebalance and vignetting adjustment" screen (available by pressing F12 from PTAssembler's main screen) or pressing the "adjust exposures..." button on the preview viewer.

Max

rancho

Post by rancho » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks, Max.

Rancho