PTA6.2 x64 - Could not rename cropped file...

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

PTA6.2 x64 - Could not rename cropped file...

Post by seigell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm using PTA6.2x64 on numerous Fall Color panos on a laptop that previously had PTA6.01x86, upgraded just yesterday, running on Win7 x64 Home Premium.
I'm finding that I get persistent "Error: Could not rename cropped file to final name." errors even though TiffCrop is Deselected in the Step#5 "Stitching/Blending/Stacking Options" workflow dialog.
The apparent error displayed in the CMD window is: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
The result is not an unintended TiffCrop'd TIF File, but rather that the Checked "Recycle intermediate files" has not been performed successfully - leaving me dozens of Intermediate Files to manually Delete.

When I do Check the "Crop Final Image" workflow task, TiffCrop is successfully performed. However, the follow-on File Renaming and Recycle Intermediate Files tasks both fail with the same CMD window error: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

The only thing changed has been the single successful execution of the PTA6.2x64 Setup App.

I understand that the majority of the PTA6.2 UI is actually a 32-bit App, but could it be encountering problems attempting to perform some background task that is failing to run under the x64 environment ??

seigell

Re: PTA6.2 x64 - Could not rename cropped file...

Post by seigell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:32 pm

While continuing to work through my Fall Colors panos, I've come to the suspicion that one cause for this "Could not rename cropped file." error is likely the persistent "Auto Refresh" that most all Image Browsers perform (including my choice ACDSee Pro). The Image Browser "temporarily opens" the new images in the current directory in order to generate a thumbnail for the Browser Display, and PTA's "Recycle Intermediate Files" task collides with this onging action. (Or at least that is my working theory...)
In order to test out this theory, avoid the error message popup, avoid the unwanted leftover cleanup, and avoid the disruption to my Image Browsing that occurs when the Browser automatically shifts to the "new files", I tried to set PTA to work in a subdirectory of the current Image folder. (Unfortunately, there doesn't appear any support in PTA for such a workflow element.) Simply, I created a PTA subdirectory of my current \Pictures\2013-10-03 Image Directory. Immediately after dropping an Image Set into PTA, I perform SaveAs (Save will write to the current directory) and select the PTA subdirectory before pressing Save. Then I select Auto-Create (however have modified my Preferences to "Generate Preview instead of Final Image" and disabled "Open Image in Viewer App When Complete" and disabled "Save Project File before Creating Final Image"). Once the Preview Image is presented, I dismiss it (or tweek as needed) and proceed to again SaveAs for the Project File before proceeding to the Create Final Image. And once the Final Image is complete, and I'm ready to start the next Pano, I need to remember to say NO to the Save Project File prompt that comes up after selecting New Project.

This workaround workflow is successful at avoiding the "collision" that is "Could not remane cropped file." (And the cleanup required afterward; and has the benefit of allowing me to continue working uninterrupted in my Image Browser while the current Final Image is being Stitched and Blended without being relocated to the newly minted Intermediate Images.)

There are a few additional steps than the "Original Auto-Create workflow", mostly because Auto-Create generates a Project File name in the current directory even if the current Project has already been Saved elsewhere and that Name is used for all further File Generation actions.

maxlyons

Re: PTA6.2 x64 - Could not rename cropped file...

Post by maxlyons » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I think you have identified the problem. PTAssembler writes out files as it is processing, and then attempts to rename/move/recycle some of these files at the end of its processing. If another program (e.g. ACDSee Pro) opens and locks one of these files before PTAssembler tries to rename/move/recycle it, PTAssembler will not be able to do so, and shows this error message. I have experienced the same thing with Canon's raw converter program (DPP) as well.

Max