Correct Projection for "DOP"

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

Ice

Correct Projection for "DOP"

Post by Ice » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 am

Hi everyone,

1.I would like to know what kind of projection you choose if you want an orthographic stitching with multiple viewpoints. I know the aspect of orthographic stitching has been a topic a few times but I dont want just an esthetic photo but an accurate photo which can be used for measuring the areas of objects and the errors e.g. by distortion should be minimized.

2.Can you give me an example for how to use the Camera Position Optimization (for orthographic stitching)? I have taken a series of pictures every 4 meters - what X/Y offset do I use for best results?

Thank you in advance for replies!!

maxlyons

Re: Correct Projection for "DOP"

Post by maxlyons » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:41 am

Ice wrote:1.I would like to know what kind of projection you choose if you want an orthographic stitching with multiple viewpoints. I know the aspect of orthographic stitching has been a topic a few times but I dont want just an esthetic photo but an accurate photo which can be used for measuring the areas of objects and the errors e.g. by distortion should be minimized.
You can use any output projection you want when stitching images from multiple viewpoints. (PTAssembler will happily render the output using any of its projections). If you want something that can be used for measuring the areas of objects, then I would guess that one of the area-preserving projections would be appropriate (see the list of "equal-area projections" on this Wikipedia page).
2.Can you give me an example for how to use the Camera Position Optimization (for orthographic stitching)? I have taken a series of pictures every 4 meters - what X/Y offset do I use for best results?
The X/Y values depend on the other values in your project. In general, it is best to let the optimizer deduce the appropriate values after adding control points. This page has some more information.

Max