Problem Stitching Portrait-mode TIFFs

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

Problem Stitching Portrait-mode TIFFs

Post by seigell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Using ACDSee Pro 6 to batch "Develop" my Canon 60D .CR2 RAW files to 16-bit TIFFs has allowed me to generate PTA Panos with greater bit-depth. ACDSee Pro 6 brought stable 64-bit Applications where my older CS3 fails to support the 60D in ACR.

All of this is great until I attempt to stitch a pano from Portrait oriented TIFF images (developed either singularly or in batch). It appears that PTAStitcher is unable to find some necessary EXIF or TIFF metadata, and generates images in either Preview or Create Final which appear to have placement appropriate if the Source Images were in Landscape Dimensions (blank space between component images but otherwise properly oriented / aligned). Checking the individual APs in Step#3 show that PTAPicker or Panomatic is properly placing the APs on matching "features" of the component images. The Blending apps - whether Enblend or Smartblend or Multiblend - only choose Blending Edges in the few places where the "misplaced" images actually do overlap. All this seems to indicate that the "misidentified image dimensions" are occuring at PTAStitcher.

If I use the same ACDSee Pro 6 workflow to generate "developed" JPG files, there is no such problem and the expected Pano Image is generated - Stitched Stacked and Blended to perfection. Same thing if I set the 60D to generate RAW+JPG in-Camera.

I like the PTA pano results of 16-bit TIFFs when the source images are Landscape mode, and would like to identify what is going awry.

johnh

Re: Problem Stitching Portrait-mode TIFFs

Post by johnh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 pm

In case you are not aware, you can process your images in CS3 ACR by first batch converting them to DNG format. Download Adobe DNG Converter 8.2 from the Adobe site.

John

seigell

Post by seigell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I appreciate that this DNG-based "alternative workflow" is available...

However, it comes with numerous disadvantages:
  • Additional (lengthy) processing step (about 2.5sec/image) - Adobe DNG Converter is still a 32-bit Single-threaded App
  • Significant additional Disk Space required (DNG is about 80% of CR2 filesize - 17-19M/image) - even if foregoing embedded RAW and JPEG Preview
  • Requires a CS3-based "RAW Develop" Workflow - my normal workflow is ACDSee Pro 6 -based with CS3 occasionally for Layer Masks and Curves
  • Adobe DNG Converter lacks most any amount of Image Selection UI - converts "all files except JPEGs" found in Folder
I'm hoping that Max can suggest details of EXIF dependencies that I can pursue in ACDSee Pro 6, or perhaps identify as a Bug within PTAStitcher.

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:37 am

Some evidence in the form of a project file and/or a sample portrait tiff file (small version for convenience) would be appreciated.

John

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:21 pm

johnh wrote:Some evidence in the form of a project file and/or a sample portrait tiff file (small version for convenience) would be appreciated.
Agreed. It might be some problem in the way orientation data is stored in the image or project. Or a bug in PTAssembler in reading it. It is probably impossible to say without seeing some images and a project file.

Max