Hot Pixel Removal for PTA

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

Hot Pixel Removal for PTA

Post by seigell » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Did you ever consider adding an automatic Hot Pixel (or Dark Frame) Removal function to PTA (ala ImageStacker) ??

My 60D isn't bad, only a couple Hot Pixels. But my older 400D has a decidedly larger set of blemishes - especially when the Sensor is hot.

I know that several Image Processing Apps, as part of the RAW "Develop" process, can apply either Hot Pixel Detection or a Hot Pixel Map. But sometimes I'm running PTA directly off of the In-Camera JPEGs...

(Or is PTA no longer actively developed??)

maxlyons

Re: Hot Pixel Removal for PTA

Post by maxlyons » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Seigell,

I'm still working on PTAssembler, although it now has most of the features that I think a full-featured stitching program needs. I don't plan to add hot pixel removal to PTAssembler though...it think it is already too confusing for most folks already, and I'm reluctant to add even more nice-to-have features that aren't really an integral part of image stitching, and can be done just as well (or maybe better) outside of PTAssembler.

Max

seigell

Post by seigell » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I can understand that... Damn Newbies !!

Its just that Hot Pixel Removal doesn't seem to be a function available in any software's Batch Develop workflow...
Anyone have any suggestions ??

johnh

Post by johnh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:28 pm

You may find that this article has a solution: http://tinyurl.com/oqtkh5j. It worked for me, so it's certainly worth trying.

John

seigell

Post by seigell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you.
Yes, there is this In-Camera Trick. However, from personal experience there is something additional going on behind the scene which causes this Trick to work sometimes on some cameras (I have a 400D 2x550D 60D) and not other times - and can cause the internal data to be lost.
When it works, this also ONLY removes the Dead Pixel data from the In-Camera processed JPEG files - not the RAW CR2 data that I tend to shoot and Develop to TIFF externally. But, when it works, it usually does work...