Newbie: "autopano has stopped working"

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

pbandurian

Newbie: "autopano has stopped working"

Post by pbandurian » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm a newbie with PtAssembler. I have version 5.0 and rarely used it. I've not found it easy to use unlike Tufuse. But I'm really motivated now for the present project. I have loaded and located for PTAssembler autopano . When I click the "Autopano Selected" button on Step 1, I get the message that "autopano.exe has stopped working" and that Windows has identified that it has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify me if a solution is available. (So very helpful...) Any suggestions?

Some additional info about the pano being attempted. The input files are 15 tiff files, in portrait orientation, covering three horizontal spatial positions with five exposures in each spatial position. (The tonal range is fairly extreme from dark shadow to sunlit snow.) I, in my haste to catch the light, collected the images in aperture priority rather than manual mode so there is some variation in exposure time for the corresponding exposures in the HDR collects. The raw files were developed in DXO with minimal processing: no exposure or tonal adjustments, only lens distortion correction, vignette correction, and noise reduction. The tiff files look exquisite.

It appears that if I can't get autopano to work, I'll have to create several control points for each pair of images even though for many cases they are different exposures of the same scene. But, at this point, I'm not confident even that would work. There is lots of easily identified stuff in the images (mountain peaks, tree tops, prominent rocks, etc) that should be easy for auto alignment, I would think.

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers, Peter

pbandurian

Re: Newbie: "autopano has stopped working"

Post by pbandurian » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 am

Reading, reading, reading.

I just noticed that autopano does not run on Windows 7 or 8. I also noticed that there is a new version of PTAssembler, 6.02. I downloaded and installed it. I would like to know if I have to purchase the upgrade. The Help | Purchase/Register says "This version PTAssembler is registered to" me so I suspect there is no upgrade fee. If so, thanks. If not, please let me know.

The control point picker PTAPicker identifies control points satisfactorily. It even recognizes that some images are spatially co-located while others overlap. But the preview image is not a panorama - the images are sorta on top of one another. Please help.

Cheers, Peter

maxlyons

Re: Newbie: "autopano has stopped working"

Post by maxlyons » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:13 pm

pbandurian wrote:The Help | Purchase/Register says "This version PTAssembler is registered to" me so I suspect there is no upgrade fee. If so, thanks. If not, please let me know.
You are correct. There is no charge to upgrade.
The control point picker PTAPicker identifies control points satisfactorily. It even recognizes that some images are spatially co-located while others overlap. But the preview image is not a panorama - the images are sorta on top of one another. Please help.
It is hard to say without seeing the project file, but it sounds like you may not have optimized the project. Adding control points is a necessary step, but PTAssembler doesn't know how the images are aligned until the project has been optimized.

Max