How to set Ref Image for PTAuto ??

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's PTAssembler software, Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools software and any other photography related software

Moderator: spamkiller

seigell

How to set Ref Image for PTAuto ??

Post by seigell » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:27 pm

How does one set a Reference Image for use in the Auto-Optimizer when using PTAuto to crunch a bunch of Image Stacks ??

I have over 500 Exposure-Bracket Sets which I need to run through PTA via PTAuto.

The Exposure Sets are from "The Narrows" in Zion NP, taken Handheld (mostly while standing 2-3ft deep in the Virgin River). So, they have minor Alignment Issues, else I'd like to have explored simply running them directly through Tufuse.
(I know... Use a Tripod... But slogging up the River, stepping through the Bowling Ball sized river rocks for several miles, it was all I could do to hold the Camera out of the water...)

I also need to figure the minimum set of Auto-Optimizer tasks to use. These triplet sets are all shot Portrait-mode with a wide 15mm Lens on a Canon 60D (for an effective 24mm FL), and left to its own devices PTA tends to over optimize the Lens-B parameter and then give it a weird Yaw of about 30-45 degrees. I need to minimize this outcome, as I don't want to have to Load and Preview and Correct and then Process the greater portion of these 500 sets.

Suggestions ??

seigell

Re: How to set Ref Image for PTAuto ??

Post by seigell » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:21 am

I've found that the Auto-Optimize "Task List" doesn't seem to be applied to the initial Auto-Optimize performed as part of the Auto-Create - at least having removed "_opb" from the "Task List" the B parameter is still optimized to a non-zero value.
However, after resetting B to 0 and then performing a new Auto-Optimize does leave the B parameter at 0.

But, even if the B parameter is 0.0, the resulting Stacked Image is distorted such that the tall ends of the Portrait Mode Stack are rounded as if part of a large circular crop.

How do I get PTA to leave Align Stitch and Stack and Blend without applying any distortion to these Widefield Portrait Mode Stacks (Horizontal FOV is 53.7* per data PTA reads from EXIF) ??

maxlyons

Re: How to set Ref Image for PTAuto ??

Post by maxlyons » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:28 pm

As I understand it you want to use PTAutomate to invoke PTAssembler's "Autoalign" feature on several hundred different stacks? That should be fine, but it might be easiest to start with a single stack in PTAssembler at first, get that working correctly, and then work up to multiple stacks via PTAutomate from there.

I'm not sure I understand the problem you are encountering...can you post (or send) a stack that shows the issue, and I'll take a look?

Thanks,

Max