Experience with a motorized pano head?

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

nickfan

Post by nickfan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:50 pm

whosaidthat wrote:The VR Drive looks like a great idea but out of the reach of most pano people.
Maybe Nick Fan could develop a more down to earth motorised base for the NN3-4!!
Something in the $200 - $500USD mark as an addon to a NN3 would be very good value indeed.
Thanks for sharing your wish with me. unfortunately, I have no expertise in electronics.
besides, I have my hands full to develop improved manual pano heads.
you can adapt NN3 easily on a motorized rotator base easily though.

nick

Jim Z

Post by Jim Z » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:31 am

Erik Hansen's xrez.com Yosemite Halfdome post had pics of a couple motorized panoheads he uses/used, one looked like some sort of a production item...
Jim Z

ehanson

Post by ehanson » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Yes, we do have a lot of experience w/ both the Peace River unit and Rodeon, feel free to ask any specific questions about either.. We find the Rodeon is more advantageous for hiking, although we have hauled the PixOrb into some remote locations. For shooting gigapixel imagery, a motorized head is mandatory, esp w/ spherical shoots, where keeping track of a large no of shots (~350) would be inefficient and/or error prone. The motorized heads can be a bit risky, but the Rodeon has been very reliable and accurate in most cases so far.. If you want to shoot narrow fields w/ fewer shots (<100), manual shooting is certainly an option. Our Boston image was done manually, but I was going blind by the end of it ;)

Eric Hanson
http://www.xrez.com
http://www.visuraimaging.com

ijw

Post by ijw » Tue May 01, 2007 8:32 am

I've not been on the forum for awhile, so missed this thread...

Motorised heads will NOT speed up the shooting of 'regular' resolution panoramas, simply because the motors needed to turn and and damp a head as quickly as you can by hand would be massive. In addition, if you want anything approaching accuracy you have to gear down the motors quite a bit and also allow for slowing down the motor before it gets into position etc.
As Eric says, massive numbers of shots for gigapixel panos are another matter. :D

Those of you thinking about LEGO NXT might want to have a look at my blog on the IVRPA site (part 1, rest of the blog) where I documented the process of building an aluminium and LEGO head over several months. Note that the Karline Rodeon head mentioned in part one is an older model to the one used by Eric, the new one is much better designed - but once bitten, twice shy...

One wonderful thing about NXT is that you can use a mobile phone as the remote control, including dialogs where the head asks for the number of degrees for each row and column.

Ian

P.S. I'll be taking Frankenstein's Panohead to the IVRPA conference in Berkeley where it will be demonstrated and discussed.

h-g-t

Re: Experience with a motorized pano head?

Post by h-g-t » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I have been building my own using a LEGO NXT and wooden/ mdf frames.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?n ... 1Sm2SkoiHE
Inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination .....