using a tilt shift lens with a pano head?

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

galerainh20

using a tilt shift lens with a pano head?

Post by galerainh20 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello I shoot alot of panoramas and have just upgraded to a full frame body. Does anyone have any experience using a tilt shift lense with their pano head? I really just want to use the lense in tilt mode to increase depth of field. The 45mm canon tilt shift is what I'm interested in.

Thanks for any help

ranjan

Post by ranjan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 pm

Yes you can use it with the tilt, just lock the tilt & then shoot left to right.
I have a 90mm & posted a test shot 2 yrs ago on this forum, If I can find that post will link it here.

galerainh20

Post by galerainh20 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Thanks that's all I want to do is use the tilt feature and rotate, shooting single row panos. Did you have good results? The 45mm is what I am interested in.

ranjan

Post by ranjan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I actually shot in studio doing a product to increase resolution.

I locked the tilt & shifted the lens left/ normal/right to get 3 exposure & made a pano out of it.

ranjan

Post by ranjan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Found the old post.

viewtopic.php?t=1607&postdays=0&postord ... lt&start=0

Its in the end that I posted my test image.

galerainh20

Post by galerainh20 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:11 am

Thanks for looking it up. There seems to be alot of speculation on this subject. I am talking about not using the shift and using the pano head to rotate around instead of using the shift feature. If it will work on the shift I don't see why it wouldn't work on a pano head. Have you ever tested it on a pano head and not using the shift feature?

ranjan

Post by ranjan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 am

Yes I have tested it both ways & it works fine.

elf

Post by elf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:32 am

Using tilt and shift together is pretty straight forward, but you'll still have parallax errors if you shift the lens instead of the body. Here's an example of tilt and shift: viewtopic.php?t=4671

My current spherical panohead was built specifically to allow the body to be shifted and the lens to remain fixed: viewtopic.php?t=4731

It is a much more involved process to just use the tilt and rotate the panohead normally. You will usually need to reset the tilt for each frame, so the scene needs to be pretty static. Unfortunately, I don't have a successful example of only using tilt and rotating the panohead, but this is more because of work pressure than the capability of the equipment.

galerainh20

Post by galerainh20 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Rajan. I would think it would once you have the nodal point set correctly.

Elf I am very immpressed with your pano head. I have been thinking about building my own and the place where you got your parts seems to be great.

When you say you usually adjust the tilt for each frame do you mean for focusing purposes? I can't find where the tilt changes the perspective like the shift does?

elf

Post by elf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Yes, the tilt needs to be adjusted for focus purposes. The scenes that I've tried this on so far have had quite a bit of variance between each frame and just rotating without readjusting the tilt has been unsatisfactory. It may be that I just need more practice to be able to do it quickly.

Tilting the lens also moves the entrance pupil off of the pivot points, so theoretically the pano head will have to be readjusted whenever the tilt is changed.

europanorama

zoerk?

Post by europanorama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:26 am

doesnt zoerk has a similar system for tilt, lens staying "fixed"? maybe working only for 80mm and longer.
if you tilt using horizontal axis this could result in a shift and increasing DOF. roundshot 220 vr has a special head for this. regarding multishots using dslr it would be interesting to know which rotating angles are needed for best shooting.

doug4knfpu

Re: zoerk?

Post by doug4knfpu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 pm

europanorama wrote:doesnt zoerk has a similar system for tilt, lens staying "fixed"? maybe working only for 80mm and longer.
if you tilt using horizontal axis this could result in a shift and increasing DOF. roundshot 220 vr has a special head for this. regarding multishots using dslr it would be interesting to know which rotating angles are needed for best shooting.
I know this is an old topic but did you find out if zoerk had such a system?

Natoma 08 Design