which tripod is better suited

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

marquee

which tripod is better suited

Post by marquee » Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 am

Hello!
I'm in the pursuit of a good sturdy and lightweight tripod for capturing panoramas. I've got a D3 and D300 with 180mm, 16mm, 24mm lens.

Pl recommend from your experiences.

I've had a few suggestions like the Manfrotto 756B MDEVE TRIPOD.
I'm open to any suggestions here.

Also, can anyone explain this,
I was told to avoid cam/tripod issues, attach your rig directly to the tripod base using the 3/8" thread standard on most sturdy tripods.

How much is this true?

Terrywoodenpic

Re: which tripod is better suited

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 am

marquee wrote:Hello!
I'm in the pursuit of a good sturdy and lightweight tripod for capturing panoramas. I've got a D3 and D300 with 180mm, 16mm, 24mm lens.

Pl recommend from your experiences.

I've had a few suggestions like the Manfrotto 756B MDEVE TRIPOD.
I'm open to any suggestions here.

Also, can anyone explain this,
I was told to avoid cam/tripod issues, attach your rig directly to the tripod base using the 3/8" thread standard on most sturdy tripods.

How much is this true?
Some attach direct some don't , yet both sets of people get good pans. I set my NN3ll directly on the legs of my manfrotto proB.
It works for me. Mostly I use a 40D with 17-55 f28 lens ( quite big and heavy)

My thoughts are the less stuff between the camera and the legs the less the vibration especially if there is any wind around..
I also use mirror lock for the same reason.
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs

Wolverine@MSU

Post by Wolverine@MSU » Fri May 09, 2008 6:52 am

marquee wrote:I was told to avoid cam/tripod issues, attach your rig directly to the tripod base using the 3/8" thread standard on most sturdy tripods.

How much is this true?
I'm pretty sure the threads on most camera bases are 1/4"-20tpi
(1/4" dia. 2- threads per inch)

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Fri May 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Wolverine@MSU wrote:
marquee wrote:I was told to avoid cam/tripod issues, attach your rig directly to the tripod base using the 3/8" thread standard on most sturdy tripods.

How much is this true?
I'm pretty sure the threads on most camera bases are 1/4"-20tpi
(1/4" dia. 2- threads per inch)
That is true except some early continental European ones which use 3/8
However most heads , ball ,pano and other wise are threaded 3/8...
so whilst you can not set a camera directly on the legs, you can set a vast majority of heads that way.

Manfrotto actually make a 3/8 female to 1/4 male adapter for this purpose.
Terry

marquee

Post by marquee » Sat May 10, 2008 2:44 am

And which tripod do you figure is the best for the purpose.

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 am

marquee wrote:And which tripod do you figure is the best for the purpose.
That depends a lot on what you are prepared to carry compared to the depth of your purse.
The Manfrotto range is very popular ... I use the 055 proB many others prefer the lighter and smaller 190 proB athers with more cash go for the carbon fibre versions such as the new 190CX3.

All manfrotto tripods and accessories are made to a price value criterion; so tend to be good value for their specification however the finish of nonessential areas is not the finest. The Gitzo range made in the same site is better in this respect. Though I doubt you would notice any difference at all in the results you obtain.

Some newer far east makes that specialize in carbon fibre are getting very good reports especially feisol.
See www.feisol.com
I read a thread on them on another forum and they were raving about their travel tripod.

One thing I have learnt it is always best to buy the best tripod you can both afford and that you will actually carry with you.
Terry

waters

Post by waters » Sat May 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Although they do not have the attractive looking models on their website, Induro makes some very nice tripods. I have the C214, a carbon fiber model which I have been very happy with. It is much more affordable than an equivalent Gitzo. I find ballheads to be the most practical solution if the tripod is to be used for more than panorama work.

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Sat May 10, 2008 2:33 pm

waters wrote:Although they do not have the attractive looking models on their website, Induro makes some very nice tripods. I have the C214, a carbon fiber model which I have been very happy with. It is much more affordable than an equivalent Gitzo. I find ballheads to be the most practical solution if the tripod is to be used for more than panorama work.
I too have various heads... balls I find hard to set exactly.
What I find I use more is my manfrotto 460 mg....
It can put a camera in more positions than a contortionist.
However as I have stated previously I use my NN3ll directly on the legs.
Terry

zakkariya

Post by zakkariya » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:48 am

The tripod, though bulkier and heavier, is definitely more stable than a monopod. The support that a tripod can offer comes from its wider base, which makes it better for longer photo shoots, or for shoots that involve large or heavy cameras. For more detains visit USA psychology research paper writing service.