Nikon 14-24 nodal point ?

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

JPS

Nikon 14-24 nodal point ?

Post by JPS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 am

Hi ! I just received my Nikon 14-24, which I plan to use with my D700...

I tried to find the nodal point, but my "rail" wasn't long enough to bring the whole camera+lens back enough !

Anybody ever used this set-up to shoot QTVR with success ?

TIA,
J-P.

NB. I used to shoot QTVR with my -now old- D200 and a Sigma 10-20... I guess the new Nikon 14-24 is even slightly wider than the Sigma: 14/1.5 = 9.33 mm. if it was a DX lens !
http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Feel free to comment/critic if there's a picture attached ! ...and even it there isn't any !

aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:26 am

Very nice combination there! I'm currently shooting real estate with a D70 and Sigma 10-20mm. If business picks up enough, I plan to upgrade to your setup.

What are you using for pano gear (head, rail, etc.)? I have a friend that shoots with your camera/lens and he had to upgrade one of the rails in his Really Right Stuff combo when he got the 14-24 since the nodal point is so far ahead in that lens. I'd have to ask him, but I think he had to upgrade the MPR-CL to a MPR-CL II (1.44" longer). I've read that a Nodal Ninja 3 is too short for the 14-24, but a Nodal Ninja 5 is long enough. I've also read that the NN5 can't hold the weight of that lens that far back without drifting, but perhaps that was with a D3 and not a D700, I'm not sure. Might want to look into that though. None of this is from personal experience, but rather what I've heard/read.

Congrats on your purchase though! :-)

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 am

aaronpriest wrote:Very nice combination there! I'm currently shooting real estate with a D70 and Sigma 10-20mm. If business picks up enough, I plan to upgrade to your setup.

What are you using for pano gear (head, rail, etc.)? I have a friend that shoots with your camera/lens and he had to upgrade one of the rails in his Really Right Stuff combo when he got the 14-24 since the nodal point is so far ahead in that lens. I'd have to ask him, but I think he had to upgrade the MPR-CL to a MPR-CL II (1.44" longer). I've read that a Nodal Ninja 3 is too short for the 14-24, but a Nodal Ninja 5 is long enough. I've also read that the NN5 can't hold the weight of that lens that far back without drifting, but perhaps that was with a D3 and not a D700, I'm not sure. Might want to look into that though. None of this is from personal experience, but rather what I've heard/read.

Congrats on your purchase though! :-)
The NN5L may not hold the weight . But the NN5 will as it has locking click stops on the top arm. It will hold virtually any lens camera combination normally used for pano's.
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs

aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Terrywoodenpic wrote:
The NN5L may not hold the weight . But the NN5 will as it has locking click stops on the top arm. It will hold virtually any lens camera combination normally used for pano's.
Ahh! Nice to know. I was just looking into them and wondering what the difference was.

joergen geerds

Post by joergen geerds » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:47 pm

the nn5 is rated at 10kg camera load, which should cover your d700 and the 14-24... alternatively, you could look into the 360precision adjuste (giga)... costs about $400 more than the NN5 but is rated for even larger loads.

JPS

Post by JPS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:27 am

Thanks guys ! I guess the only "cheaper" way seems to be the NN5...

...guess I'll have to start saving for one !

:)
J-P.
http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Feel free to comment/critic if there's a picture attached ! ...and even it there isn't any !