open source camera...

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

Terrywoodenpic

open source camera...

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm

This is interesting.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/augu ... 90109.html

Max you could be developing PTA plug ins next....
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs

panhobby

Post by panhobby » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 am

Hi, Interesting, I'd thinking about the possibility to integrate your own software on a camera for a while. This will now become a reality. I hope that should open a lot of possibilities and trigger developpers to raise new ideas.

Thanks for the link,

PH

zmarya

Post by zmarya » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 pm

"Open-source camera could revolutionize digital photography" - it's great idea. I was always wondering, what comes first - open source camera, or open-source cellphone...
=+)

Buho

Post by Buho » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 am

I guess this is what happens when people don't need more megapixels (the sensor is from a cell phone!): start cranking up the processor and make it open-source!

PTA-in-chip, Max?

If this catches on, I expect it to shake up the pro market. Canon, Nikon, etc. will have to rev-up their camera software to compete.
Eric

dsp

Post by dsp » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 pm

I visited Marc Levoy's lab earlier this year, and he has many interested projects going on. In addition to this one, they have developed many new techniques for computational imaging, such as the light field camera, which allows for digital refocusing and aperture changes after acquiring the image. In some sense, once you "give-up" the need to have the image that falls on the sensor look nice, and just use it to collect information that is subsequently processed to produce a nice image, you can capture additional information about the scene.

cheers, Darcy

Buho

Post by Buho » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Is this the same lab that put micro-lenses on the sensor itself so you can, in post, shift a virtual sensor around and move (or eliminate) the depth of field? The extra data comes at the expense of a much-reduced pixel count per image.
Eric

dsp

Post by dsp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Buho wrote:Is this the same lab that put micro-lenses on the sensor itself so you can, in post, shift a virtual sensor around and move (or eliminate) the depth of field?
Exactly. With the way pixel densities are going, for many applications, the reduced resolution may not be an issue soon. You can do similar things with arrays of cameras (and they have), but this gets cost and size prohibitive. They also have a microscope variant. It it quite nice to be able to do virtual tilts of 3d objects, in real time. even if the overall range and res isn't high.
cheers, Darcy