My lens blurs the left side of every shot

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

Roll'

My lens blurs the left side of every shot

Post by Roll' » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi,

I have been doing photo for around a year and a half and I bought a Canon 450D with a standard Canon EF-S 18-55mm because I thought it was enough to start with.
But there is something that is very disturbing using this lens. It blurs the left side of every shot. So we can clearly notice seams in a panoramic image.
Image Image

I would like to have your opinion of this, do you think this is a lens defect? Does someone have a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Arnaud

maxlyons

Re: My lens blurs the left side of every shot

Post by maxlyons » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Roll' wrote:do you think this is a lens defect? Does someone have a similar problem?
I have seen this sort of behavior on many lenses....some of which cost a lot more than the kit lens! In fact, if you look closely enough you'll probably find that most lenses exhibit some sort of asymmetric blurring. In my experience, the degree to which a lens exhibits this can vary depending on focal length, focus setting, aperture and even the camera upon which it is mounted.

As to whether it constitutes a "defect", that probably depends on the manufacturer's standards. It might be worth contacting Canon to see what they say, but my guess is that they'll consider it "within specifications" or they'll "repair" it, and it will come back looking exactly the same. However, I'd love to be proved wrong about this.

One last thought...my experience has led me to believe that different copies of the same lens can behave quite differently. So, just because your EF-S 18-55mm behaves this way doesn't necessarily mean that all EF-S 18-55mm lenses will behave this way. Maybe they will...but not necessarily. I have seen different copies of a lens behave quite differently on the same camera.

Max

Roll'

Post by Roll' » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Thank you very much for your explanation and opinion on this behavior!

Christmas is coming around the corner and I have planned to change my lens so far.
What lens would you recommend for a price under 600€ (about 900$)?

Arnaud

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Roll' wrote:Thank you very much for your explanation and opinion on this behavior!

Christmas is coming around the corner and I have planned to change my lens so far.
What lens would you recommend for a price under 600€ (about 900$)?

Arnaud
I don't know...given that different copies of lenses may behave differently, it makes it very hard to say! It might be worth trying a few different lenses to see what works best for you...

Max

Buho

Post by Buho » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 am

Shooting a 2x2 pano is a great way to determine if your lens has asymmetrical blurring. (If you can "preview" the lens you're interested in buying, try to do this.)

It's somewhat common in lenses. If I'm using a lens that I know has blurring on the edges at a specific aperture, I'll just shoot with more overlap to minimize this.
Eric

SCGushue

Re: My lens blurs the left side of every shot

Post by SCGushue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Roll' wrote:Hi,

I have been doing photo for around a year and a half and I bought a Canon 450D with a standard Canon EF-S 18-55mm because I thought it was enough to start with.
But there is something that is very disturbing using this lens. It blurs the left side of every shot. So we can clearly notice seams in a panoramic image.
Image Image

I would like to have your opinion of this, do you think this is a lens defect? Does someone have a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Arnaud
Hi Arnaud,

The image that you have posted appears to show a decentering defect. The internal lens elements are out of alignment. It can happen, as stated by others, on any lens, but really should not happen with tight QC at the point of assembly.

I wonder...has this always been a problem with this lens? or is it a problem that has arisen of late? If so, the decentering could be a byproduct of a hard knock or dropping of the lens. As it is a kit lens it perhaps is not worth having the elements realigned so save your money.

I had one lens (mucho $K's) that had this defect and had it replaced by the manufacturer. You, however, are probably out of warrenty as so they probably won't help you.

When you buy a new lens, check the lens out for this problem immediately. Decentering problems are about the worst thing that a defective lens can have (assuming the lens is usable and not broken in the first place :)) and if the defect does not show up on early tests, you are probably going to do well with it.

Good luck.

Stephen
Steve