I would be grateful for any advice

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

magneticart

I would be grateful for any advice

Post by magneticart » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:39 am

I am planning to use a Nikon D200 with a Samyang 8mm lens (Angle of view: 180 degrees (APS-C), Diameter x Lenght : 75x74.8mm ) on a Nodal Ninja 3 mount to create prints and quicktime VR shows of people working the in tobacco fields in Cuba. I would like the quicktime VR to be able to pan 360 degrees and tilt all the way up to the zenith and all the way down to the ground. In other words I would like a completely spherical view.
Do I need to photoshop out the tripod legs in the downward view before stitching? or can I just take that frame hand held after removing the tripod?
I am planning to take 4 horizontal frames and 2 vertical (sky and ground) would that be sufficient considering I am using the 8mm lens ? Do you think my set-up is adequate? I am using a Gitzo tripod but I don't have any auto leveler device. Should I get one?
Thank you for any advice you can give me.

monkey

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:07 am

I don't know whether you'll get the full fisheye with that lens and camera combination, but you might want to consider 6, 8, or even more images. There will be more distortion like colour fringes at the edges of the image. Stitching can be pretty quick and easy these days, so it won't mean much more work.

I just take my "down" shots handheld - two of them so I can paint out my feet! Though sometimes I think it's not often necessary to get the full 180 degree vertical - all of the interesting stuff will be around the middle, and the wide angle you'll have anyway will still make for an immersive panorama.

David