Taking several rows pano in landscape orientation

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

Roll'

Taking several rows pano in landscape orientation

Post by Roll' » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 am

Hi,

I'm interested in taking pano of several rows with the camera set in landscape orientation and was wondering what gear do you use for that?
I own a Nodal Ninja 5 which allows me to use my camera in landscape orientation but only for 1 row panorama.

Any help is welcome,
Arnaud

elf

Re: Taking several rows pano in landscape orientation

Post by elf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm

NN5 does multirow panos. You probably only need an L bracket to use landscape mode. On the other hand, when doing multi-row panos, there is no advantage to using either landscape or portrait mode as far as the stitching goes.

Roll'

Post by Roll' » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I would like to use the camera in landscape orientation to deal with moving subjects, especially animals and then take another row for more space in the upper part of the pano. Unfortunately, the only way to rotate the pano head (set in landscape oriantion) vertically is to rotate the ballhead but as you can imagine, this is not precise at all.
Otherwise, I've no problem doing multirow pano in portrait orientation.
elf wrote:You probably only need an L bracket
Something like that I assume

That's an option and I keep it in mind.

Nonetheless, do you think I can achieve the same thing (accurate vertical rotation) with a tripod head? It would be even better.

Thanks,
Arnaud

elf

Post by elf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Roll' wrote: Nonetheless, do you think I can achieve the same thing (accurate vertical rotation) with a tripod head? It would be even better.
You will have parallax errors just using the tripod head. Whether these will be large enough to make a difference in your images depends on how close foreground objects are. I would not recommend using just the tripod head for vertical rotation.

It doesn't really matter if you shoot landscape or portrait as you will need the same number of images either way to cover the same field of view. In other words, there is no advantage to shooting one row in landscape mode and then shooting another in portrait mode. There is, however, a risk of moving the tripod when changing modes as well as the extra time it takes.

Roll'

Post by Roll' » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:50 am

Ok, I'll give the L bracket a try and will see if it's useful for my use or not.
Thank you very much!

Arnaud