Using a Pano Head for extreme shallow DOF shots?

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

mandonbossi

Using a Pano Head for extreme shallow DOF shots?

Post by mandonbossi » Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 am

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to this forum and have a question that may be somewhat out of the normal realm... I am interested in stitched panoramas but am interested in making shallow depth of field images, as opposed to sharp, high resolution images.. Mainly for people based photography.

http://blog.buiphotos.com/2009/07/the-b ... irections/

http://www.kmillerphotographs.com/photo ... panoramas/

As the links above point out, it has largely ecome known as the "Brenizer Method". Sorta reminds me of the "Ludivico Technique" in Clockwork Orange for some reason..

So, most of these images are based around shooting a whole bunch of images and then stitching them together in Photoshop or another stitching program.. I was wondering if I was able to simplify the process by using just two overlapping images with a Pano head to give me a good, consistent stitch? I was thinking of the Canon 85mm 1.2 @ 1.2.

By using this calculator below, I think a stitched photo of two horizontal images (with roughly a 1/3 overlap and therefore ending up roughly 8x10 in proportion) would effectively give a FOV of a 66mm lens at a aperture of f0.93. That is of course if I am on the right track.. Would also look at using the Canon 90mm 2.8 TS-E lens and using slight movements.

http://brettmaxwellphoto.com/Brenizer-M ... lculation/

So, if I was able to lock off the focus on the tilt/shift lens, any reason why this would not stitch well?

If I was to do a more traditional panoramic shot, I would probably look at stitching three or so photos together but still using the technique of looking to maintain extremely shallow DOF.

Any issues that I am going to run into by looking to shoot this way? Apart from the obvious ones of focus, people moving etc etc

Do any of the companies out there making pano heads, have a position where the camera sits in a horizontal position? Most that I have seen look to be stitching photos taken from a camera in a vertical position?

At this stage, I am not ever sure that what I have in mind will work but is there any suggestions out there for an inexpensive pano head that would allow me to do as described in a quick, non clunky manner? As mentioned earlier, I mainly have it in my head to shoot people with, so it really needs to be as fluid as possible..

So if anyone out there could give me any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Mandon Bossi

ATucker

Re: Using a Pano Head for extreme shallow DOF shots?

Post by ATucker » Sat May 26, 2012 9:57 am

One frequent forum member had the following in his signature: A test is worth of thousand expert opinions.

Therefore worth a million of mine. But for what you are wanting to do, people photography, I would just stick with the method: Handheld, manual focus, lens wide open, lots of pics. Messing with a tripod and panohead will waste a lot of time and perhaps opportunities.

In addition, minimizing the # of images may reduce the impact of how the projection changes the final pano.

For stills, no issue. A few contributors here have shot very large macro panos with shallow DOF.

FWIW: My Brenizer attempt: 43 images, handheld, 200mm, f4, stitched with PTAssembler: Last Drop

mandonbossi

Re: Using a Pano Head for extreme shallow DOF shots?

Post by mandonbossi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:59 am

Hi, Thanks so much for the reply, much appreciated! You are probably right, maybe getting too technical. Although, to be honest, I thought the idea of fewer shots on a tripod was just slowing down the process ( not always a bad thing ) and going to save me a lot of mucking around in post later.. Like you say though, is all in the doing.. Nice shallow stitch by the way :)

Thanks again for the response!

Cheers

Mandon