The $400, 96 megapixel panoramic camera

Discussion forum for hardware related issues and questions

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

The $400, 96 megapixel panoramic camera

Post by maxlyons » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 pm

I just posted a new article about a 96 megapixel panoramic camera that I have been using recently.

The camera has full manual control over exposure and focus, and shoots in jpeg and raw format. It features a zoom lens, so that it can capture scenes with a field of view between 50 and 220 degrees, and the images it creates have a panoramic aspect ratio of about 4:1, although this is configurable. At its widest zoom, the lens opens up to f/2.8 aperture, and the images it produces are surprisingly sharp. I have been using it a lot for night photography, and it can shoot exposures of several minutes with no problem. I use a specially designed cable release to trigger the shutter, change exposure and operate the camera's built-in intervalometer functions. The camera is also modular, so that if I decide that I'd like a 200 megapixel model, or a version that shoots standard aspect-ratio images, it is an easy change to make. The best part is that the camera (including battery and memory card) and cable release only cost about $400.

Here are a few recent panoramas taking using this camera.

See pictures of the camera, and read the rest of this article here or download the PDF version.

Max

dsp

Re: The $400, 96 megapixel panoramic camera

Post by dsp » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:24 pm

That's a great little project! I'm glad you are having some fun with hardware. I figured you may also enable the exposure bracketing features in CHDK and add HDR shooting too. This would be super cool for some wide angle high res timelapse images. You put the whole thing on a moving rail, and the photos could be stunning. Looking forward to more interesting photos.
cheers, dsp

ATucker

Post by ATucker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:49 am

Nice project and writeup. I look forward to seeing more as well.
-Tom

seigell

Post by seigell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:37 pm

I note that you are using CHDK to output DNG format RAW Images for this project.

What software are you using for your batch DNG->TIFF Developing ??
Since you are gaining additional "exposure" to DNG, any thought of adding direct DNG support in PTA ??

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 am

seigell wrote:I note that you are using CHDK to output DNG format RAW Images for this project.

What software are you using for your batch DNG->TIFF Developing ??
I have been using Adobe Camera Raw, mostly.
Since you are gaining additional "exposure" to DNG, any thought of adding direct DNG support in PTA ??
I'm not sure about that. I am thinking about adding support for DNG to Image Stacker, though. In this case, it would allow stacking to operate on linear image data, something that is very desirable (to avoid strange color shifts when stacking, and allow for the accurate stacking of many images) but impossible in the current version of Image Stacker. I may also add DNG support it to PTAssembler, but in this case it would be a convenience feature (i.e. PTAssembler would convert the image to TIFF format before stitching rather than requiring the user convert the image to TIFF format before stitching).
Max

nickfan

Post by nickfan » Sun May 11, 2014 4:37 am

Hi Max,
Great job for creating such setup.

nick

europanorama

Post by europanorama » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:30 am

Much simpler using a noblex pancam with film. maybe digital horizon(120 degr.) will find its way to daylight. KMZ-Zenit is investing a lot(hopefully also in this product sooner or later)
But yes, one-shot-pans,even videopans are fantastic uisng eighter chdk or its brother SDM. werner bloos of digi-dat.de has cables and swithches for up to 32 cameras. i am also with chdk-brother SDM(stereodatamaker) doing 3dimages and 3d-videos(HD now). Not yet panoramas. david sykes-father of SDM recently showed Panorama-timelapse. go to Stereodatamaker-yahoo-group.
SDM is most precice to synch cameras. even video-with photosensor used to synch. Easy task(sensor is cheap) but camera must be one all the time during shooting. otherwise new snych-adjustement needed. takes less than one minute for trained persons...

europanorama

Post by europanorama » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 am

http://www.tawbaware.com/vsa_camera_array.html
sorry have seen now you using CHDK. Impressive.
maybe we will never see the long-announced Horizon DL-1 one shot 120° digital pancam-3 lenses 28mm equiv. 5mp chip was announced. There was a youtube-video