Forum updates

Forum for discussion of topics that don't fit into any other category

Moderator: spamkiller

maxlyons

Forum updates

Post by maxlyons » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 am

Hello folks,

It looks like this forum was hacked again recently, and access to it was "disabled" for some period. I have re-enabled the board, and it should be available again.

Unfortunately, keeping the board running without constant attacks from spammers and hackers doing damage is not an easy job. As a precaution, I have disabled the ability for new users to register and post messages. All my previous efforts to prevent the onslaught of spammers signing up and posting spam have failed and/or require daily action on my part...something that I'm no longer willing to do. So, as unsatisfactory as it is, as a last resort I have disabled automatic registration for new members. I'm very happy for new folks to participate, ask a question, post some information, etc. but you'll have to send me an e-mail and I'll create an account for you.

To make it clear...I'm not trying to make it difficult for new members to participate; I'm just giving in to the unpleasant reality of keeping a board like this running without drowning in a sea of spammers and attackers.

Max

spamkiller

Re: Forum updates

Post by spamkiller » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 am

Max, that looks to be a reasonable plan. There's currently a load of spam in Mosaics and Panoramas that needs deleting.

John