High-performance RAM

Discussion forum for non-commercial sale/trade of photography-related goods and services

Moderator: spamkiller

Buho

High-performance RAM

Post by Buho » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:54 am

I just did an extensive search for more system RAM. No, I'm not buying or selling here. Just some news for future shoppers.

It shocked me to realize that nobody is making CAS-latency 2 sticks of 1GB capacity yet. You can find high-performance CL 2-2-2 sticks of 512MB, but not 1GB. Nobody knows when manufacturers are going to come out with it, either, although I'm sure they're hard at work developing it.

For myself (and us panorama-makers), I've come to realize that I'll take 1GB quantity at CL 3 rather than shirk on the quantity for 512MB sticks at CL 2.

I just bought two 1GB sticks of Corsair XMS CL 3-3-3 from Newegg. They should arrive by this weekend. That'll bump my total RAM to 3GB. I can't wait to see how Enblend runs on that!
Eric

21st Hermit

Re: High-performance RAM

Post by 21st Hermit » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:34 pm

Buho wrote:I just bought two 1GB sticks of Corsair XMS CL 3-3-3 from Newegg. They should arrive by this weekend. That'll bump my total RAM to 3GB. I can't wait to see how Enblend runs on that!
How well did Enblend run?
Did you open Task Manager and see how much RAM Enblend was using? My bet is that since XP only allows 2G per process, there should be a small performance difference between 2G and 3G. The difference between 1G and 2G should be huge. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know, I ordering my 2G, A64 system tomorrow. :)

Bottom line: Slow RAM beats the fastest HD 10:1.
A test is worth one-thousand expert opinions.

GURL

Post by GURL » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:09 am

Once upon a time [..] there were so called "virtual disks": a way to use as much RAM as one could get and mimic a very fast disk for programs which were unable to use a lot of RAM directly.

Buho

Re: High-performance RAM

Post by Buho » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:19 pm

21st Hermit wrote:
Buho wrote:I just bought two 1GB sticks of Corsair XMS CL 3-3-3 from Newegg. They should arrive by this weekend. That'll bump my total RAM to 3GB. I can't wait to see how Enblend runs on that!
How well did Enblend run?
Did you open Task Manager and see how much RAM Enblend was using? My bet is that since XP only allows 2G per process, there should be a small performance difference between 2G and 3G. The difference between 1G and 2G should be huge. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know, I ordering my 2G, A64 system tomorrow. :)
Hermit, I didn't respond earlier because I haven't adequately tested Enblend yet. I couldn't get my mobo to run 3GB (limitation, I should have read my manual closer) so I've been running stable at 2.5GB for the past few months. I haven't done too much stitching in those months, actually. I'll post when I have something to report. Aside from Enblend, my computer runs buttery smooth now, especially Photoshop! :) (Not that it was too bad before, mind you.)

I did run Enblend last weekend on a 40-image (5MP) pano, but it crashed pretty quickly. I need to read up on that thread, someone else had this problem. I ended up running Enblend 1.x manually on one row at a time and then again to merge the rows. I wasn't keeping close track of what was going on, though.

George, "virtual disks" still exist. It's called "virtual memory." And the opposite also still exists. RAM drives. There are utilities out there that partition off a chunk of your RAM and turn it into a drive letter. I copied a 200MB file to a RAM drive in under a second. Woah!
Eric

Grouse

Post by Grouse » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:17 pm

Not that i have a whole lot of exp, but I run 3 gigs in my cpu

Things run fine aslong as it does not hit that 2 gig boundry, which is quite common.

As xp limits 2 gigs per process and max of 3.5 gigs due to 32bit limitiations... all we can do is wait for 64 bit processors, apps, and os's to come down.

i'm going to keep this cpu for at least a year, most likely 18months to 2 years.

Yeah it will be a dog by then but I need the time to save up for my next monster.

I've already decided Dual core, dual cpu, atleast 8 gigs, possibly 16 64 bit OS and atleast 2 raid 5 set ups.

Scott H

Using more than 2 gig in windows

Post by Scott H » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:39 pm

I now have 3 gig on my windows XP machine

Read this post..
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/view ... hlight=3gb

and this one..
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=54998