selling a digital file

Discussion forum for non-commercial sale/trade of photography-related goods and services

Moderator: spamkiller

joeshmo

selling a digital file

Post by joeshmo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:40 pm

I was recently approached by someone who would like to purchase the digital file of one of my panoramas for use as a header image on his website. my questions are as follows:

-I should provide a resolution necessary only for a header of course, right?
-I have very little experience selling my work, how much do I charge? Does the lower resolution mean a lower cost?
-He offered to attribute the image or link to my website, which I think I would like, but would this knock the price down?
-Does there need to be a written license or something like that, or does email exchange with the terms clearly spelled out cover that?

Thanks,
Mike

21st Hermit

Post by 21st Hermit » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Mike,

Start here at this misposted thread.
joeshmo wrote:I was recently approached by someone who would like to purchase the digital file of one of my panoramas for use as a header image on his website. my questions are as follows:
-I should provide a resolution necessary only for a header of course, right?
I agree.
-I have very little experience selling my work, how much do I charge?
$64,000 Q? Probably ~$100. My philosophy: pick a number that you can live with either way. Happy to have the money if you get it, happy to walk away if you don't.
Does the lower resolution mean a lower cost?
To me it would.
-He offered to attribute the image or link to my website, which I think I would like, but would this knock the price down?
Not necessarily.
-Does there need to be a written license or something like that, or does email exchange with the terms clearly spelled out cover that?
I do a written license.

Good Luck
Hermit
A test is worth one-thousand expert opinions.

clupica

What to charge

Post by clupica » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:58 pm

I know this information is probably late but it might help someone else. If it makes you happy, take what you can get. However, here are the tariffs charged in Switzerland (official going rate from Association of professional photographers). As you can see, the rate is per year with a surcharge of 100% if it is used on the homepage and another 100% if they do not want to credit the author. 100 francs (today) is about $97 US

usage rédactionnel : (pub sur demande)

1_an__:__150.- _francs_Suisses
3_ans_:__225.- _francs_Suisses
5_ans_:__300.- _francs_Suisses

Home page: prix + 100 %

Suppléments, Remises, Autres:
* Crédit photographique manquant: +100 %
* Prises de vue aériennes: +100 %, prises de vue sous-marines: +50 %
* Prises de vue avec mannequins: +25 %, dès 3 +50 %, dès 6 +100 %

TVA 7,6% en sus (sales tax)