Tufuse and color management

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
many2one

Tufuse and color management

Post by many2one » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 am

How does Tufuse fit in a color managed workflow?

I input a tif file with a PS working space color profile attached. But that profile is missing when the output file is openned in PS.

What does Tufuse do with the attached profile? Can it be preserved in the output file?

maxlyons

Re: Tufuse and color management

Post by maxlyons » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:18 am

many2one wrote:How does Tufuse fit in a color managed workflow?

I input a tif file with a PS working space color profile attached. But that profile is missing when the output file is openned in PS.

What does Tufuse do with the attached profile? Can it be preserved in the output file?
Currently, no "metadata" (e.g. EXIF data, ICC color profiles, custom TIFF tags, etc.) from the input files is recreated in the output file. However, there is a reasonable chance that I'll add this in a future version. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as just "preserving" the existing data!

Max

many2one

Post by many2one » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:01 am

maxlyons wrote:
many2one wrote:How does Tufuse fit in a color managed workflow?

Currently, no "metadata" (e.g. EXIF data, ICC color profiles, custom TIFF tags, etc.) from the input files is recreated in the output file. However, there is a reasonable chance that I'll add this in a future version. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as just "preserving" the existing data!

Max
In that case, I'll have to decide when to fuse with Tufuse in my workflow. I can either

a. Feed Tufuse input files with the working space color profile attached, and then assign the working space color profile again to the output file in PS.

or

b. Feed Tufuse input files without the working space color profile attached, and roll the output file back into color management.

Either one would be somewhat of an inconvenience. I have not come cross another plugin, such as Neat Image, that would require me to do this.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 am

In that case, I'll have to decide when to fuse with Tufuse in my workflow. I can either...
Yes...I would think that either of those will work fine.

Max

WWG

Color Profiles again

Post by WWG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:35 pm

This is an endlessly confusing topic for me. I searched the forum and found this thread but I don't really understand the suggested solutions. Here is a test that I ran.

I have a series of raw files in Lightroom 3.2 intended for focus blending. Since I want to do final edits and printing out of Lr I exported the raw files as 16 bit tiffs in Adobe's ProPhoto color space with the intent of bringing the final PTA-tufuse blended tif back into LR retaining its ProPhoto colorspace. When I looked at the tif files in my default viewer, Irfanview, the colors look awful, but when I imported this same tif back into Lr, the colors looked good. I assumed that Lr read the Metadata and knew what profile to use but Irfanview couldn't do that.

OK, I ran PTA/Autoalign on the tifs and PTA created a focus blended tif. Those colors also looked awful in Irfanview. I read the PTA output file into Lr and the colors still looked awful. I then used "exiftool.exe" to attached the metadata from one of the tifs exported from Lr to the PTA output tif and imported that back into Lr and the colors still looked awful.

Apparently, attaching the metadata from an Lr output file to the PTA output file isn't enough to tell Lr what color space to use. Does anyone have a procedure using Lr and PTA/Tufuse that preserves the wider gamut color space?
Werner

WWG

ICC_Profile

Post by WWG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 am

Apparently Lr does not set a color profile tag in the EXIF, it embeds the ICC profile. Using the ICC_Profile option in exiftool transfers the profile from the Lr-generated tif to the PTA/TuFuse generated tif. The process worked fine on an initial test.
Werner

maxlyons

Re: Color Profiles again

Post by maxlyons » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Sounds like you found a good solution...as you note, the color profile isn't generally part of the EXIF data.

One other thing I'd note is that TuFuse just cares about the numeric color values in the image file, not the color profile.

The color values (e.g. red=12, green=24, blue=186) are independent of the color profile. The profile allows (some) software to decide how to display/print any particular color value, but it isn't necessary or even relevant for TuFuse to perform its calculations.

Max

WWG

Re: Color Profiles again

Post by WWG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

maxlyons wrote:Sounds like you found a good solution...as you note, the color profile isn't generally part of the EXIF data.
What I learned on a Lightroom forum is that cameras do set tags for the color profile set in the camera but Lightroom (and I think PS) never set a profile tag, they include the ICC Profile. That's what I missed in my initial trial.

I did understand that PTA and TuFuse don't have to know what color profile the input files are in, they just do their thing with the values given. It would be nice if all this stuff just got handled automatically but now I know that even if PTA/TuFuse transferred the EXIF from one if the input tifs to the output tif, that might not be enough. There is still the ICC Profile to deal with.
Werner

nathanoj

Post by nathanoj » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Late to the party, but I have only recently noticed that Tufuse 'seems' to ingest Adobe RGB tiffs and outputs an sRGB blend. I say 'seems' because, although SRGB is the profile that Photoshop says is attached to the end-result image, has the color gamut really been reduced, compared to that of the source images? Or has all the original color info (across the source images) been preserved?

WWG

Post by WWG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 pm

All the colors are preserved but because there is no attached ICC profile, all viewers, including Lightroom, assume that the profile is sRGB. Even PTA's previewer assumes it is sRGB. You are seeing an aRGB image in sRGB color space. You can use EXIFtool to attach the correct profile to PTA's output tif by having EXIFtool attach the ICC profile from one of the component images. Then any color managed viewer or post processor will show the proper colors. Or you can export sRGB tifs from Lightroom in the first place and not have to deal with it.
Werner

nathanoj

Post by nathanoj » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks - good to know.

iiqjohnwick

Post by iiqjohnwick » Wed May 20, 2015 1:03 am

when I imported this same tif back into Lr, the colors looked good. I assumed that Lr read the Metadata and knew what profile to use but Irfanview couldn't do that. ??
raza