where tufuse works for me

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
swarbrick

where tufuse works for me

Post by swarbrick » Sat May 23, 2009 3:39 am

I bought tufuse with a view to making my mountain photography a little more distinctive, particularly flowers in shade in foreground and lit mountain behind. For this type of scene it works a treat:

http://www.imagesfromthewild.ch/Alps/Re ... focus2.htm

Notice that the foreground slopes upwards so that no part of the immediate foreground is etched against the distant mountain. The software copes with this well. Where it struggles is when the outline of the immediate foreground overlays the distant part of the image. Then it`s in trouble.

BuckeyeYank

Re: where tufuse works for me

Post by BuckeyeYank » Sat May 23, 2009 11:40 am

swarbrick wrote:I bought tufuse with a view to making my mountain photography a little more distinctive, particularly flowers in shade in foreground and lit mountain behind. For this type of scene it works a treat:

http://www.imagesfromthewild.ch/Alps/Re ... focus2.htm

Notice that the foreground slopes upwards so that no part of the immediate foreground is etched against the distant mountain. The software copes with this well. Where it struggles is when the outline of the immediate foreground overlays the distant part of the image. Then it`s in trouble.
Can you give us more details of how you made the photograph? I saw where the photo is a combination of six images. Is it a 1x3 pano with 2 separate exposures or 1x2 with 3 exposures or something else? How many stops did you bracket? Were the exposures taken to perfectly expose the foreground (1 set) and another for the background? Why kind of parameters did you use in Tufuse?

I like the photo - would like to learn more about your technique.

Thanks.
BuckeyeYank

swarbrick

Post by swarbrick » Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks. I kept it really simple - 5 shots for the shaded part at one corresponding exposure but 5 different focal points. The sixth shot was focused on the mountain at infinity with corresponding exposure for that (actually the sky + 1 1/2 stops). and hey presto tufuse came up trumps. The contrast is a little stark and perhaps could be toned down but that might be a matter of taste. No pano-stitching, that`s not my thing as I`m content with the 6 x 12 roll film back on my LF camera.
Everything on auto by the way. Only last night did I read the notes to the software on the tufuse site!

There are similar shots on all 4 Alpstein pages:

http://www.imagesfromthewild.ch/Alps/Re ... pstein.htm

Se under "infinite focus landscape"

BuckeyeYank

Post by BuckeyeYank » Sun May 24, 2009 11:17 am

Thank you for the reply - you have some very nice work on your website. I enjoyed taking a look.
BuckeyeYank

dsjtecserv

Post by dsjtecserv » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Ian:

I finally had a good opportunity to test TuFuse's focus blending capabilities on a real-world picture with flowers very close to the lens and mountains in the background. TuFuse did quite well with it. This is really not a very good picture (the air was hazy, the lighting was horrendous, and composition nothing special), and it suffers further from the large reduction for the internet. But -- trust me -- the flowers are quite sharp and the mountains as sharp as they will ever be under the conditions.

This was not done with a macro lens, rather a 10-22 lens on a 1.6 crop at 15 mm. The flowers were at the minimum focus distance for the lens, about 6 inches. For scale, the width of the "bell" on these heather flowers is about 1/4 inch (12 mm). I got by with only 4 focus planes at f/8, taking advantage of the inherent depth of field of the wide angle. This was also exposure blended, so a total of 12 images were used.

Thanks for suggesting the concept -- it was fun to explore.

Dave

Harybald

Re: where tufuse works for me

Post by Harybald » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:57 am

Cut down your exam stress by using our latest spanishprograms and high quality gmat and We provide updated spanishprograms - spanish language news with 100% pass guarantee along with learnhebrewpod questions. University of Bristol