Halo in the sky...

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
Roll'

Halo in the sky...

Post by Roll' » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 am

Hi,

Here is my first attempt at stacked panorama using tufuse and blending exposure setting:

As you can notice, there is a kind of halo around the mountain on the left.
I would like to know how to avoid that and get something like the right part with softer shades?

I use the standard line arguments:

Code: Select all

-p 1 --wMode 0 --wExposure 1 --wContrast 0 --wSaturation 0
Thanks in advance

Regards

panhobby

Post by panhobby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 am

Salut Roll'

Even if In do not have the answer to your question, I decided to post this comment, just because I think your picture is really impressive. The beautiful light and reflection in the water are very nice.

About your question, I didn't noticied any problem on the left of the picture. I would rather think that the sky in the middle/right (just above the montain in the middle) should be maybe more homgeneous, in order to avoid the small visible transition.

By the way, where did you took that picture?

Thanks,

PH

Roll'

Post by Roll' » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 am

Hi panhobby and tank you for nice words :)

I took this at the Lac de Boums (near Luchon) in Pyrénées mountains early in the morning.
panhobby wrote:About your question, I didn't noticied any problem on the left of the picture.
On my monitor I can clearly see a kind of whitish stripe along the mountain on the left part, as if I used an overdone HDR treatment.
panhobby wrote:I would rather think that the sky in the middle/right (just above the montain in the middle) should be maybe more homgeneous, in order to avoid the small visible transition.
Yea, you're right! I've also noticed this but I will fix it in post treatment with photoshop ;)

maxlyons

Re: Halo in the sky...

Post by maxlyons » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:52 am

Roll' wrote:As you can notice, there is a kind of halo around the mountain on the left.
I would like to know how to avoid that and get something like the right part with softer shades?
My guess is that this is pushing the limits of the magic that even a program like TuFuse can produce. In some images, there is so much dynamic range, and the contrast between light and dark regions so great that they simply can't be squeezed into a "natural looking" result.

That said, one thing you could try is increasing the number of levels that TuFuse uses. That might help to lessen the appearance of the halos.

Max

dsjtecserv

Post by dsjtecserv » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:53 am

Rolle' --

That's an absolutely stunning image -- that's your reward for getting up early, and we get the benefit too!

I do see an area of lighter sky that borders the edge of all of the mountains, across the entrire range, not just at the left. To some extent that may attributable to the naturally lighter color nearer the horizon, but I agree that this does not explain all of the halo. I think this is a result of the processing that all HDR/XDR programs do to some extent. If you look along the top edge of all the ridges, you can see that the rock is slightly darker the closer it gets to the sky. This increases the apparent contrast between the sky and rock, and enhances the impression of a wider tonal range being included in the scene. As it happens, this general visual effect was discusseed in an article in this month's Outoor Photographer magazine: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how- ... tions.html

I think this is a technique that all extended dynamic range programs use to some extent. It can be glaringly obvious in HDR program that use tonemapping; I have found that it is less apparent with TuFuse.

Dave

Roll'

Re: Halo in the sky...

Post by Roll' » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:24 am

Thank you for replying!

You're right Max! The problem comes from what you said...
I've tried again by increasing the number of levels, that's better but not perfect yet. The halo is still visible.

I know another method using Photomatix pro which is really nice to avoid halos but it needs more time because I have to produce three panoramas before merging. Here are a couple of samples:

They are a little bit darker than the images produced with tufuse though...
I think I am going to use Photomatix pro for this case. and will try tufuse for others pictures.

Thanks dsjtecserv for the link ;)
I have not finished reading it yet but that is quite interesting : )
(I checked out your photo gallery by the way, and I must say I do like your panoramas, they are amazing!! You live in such a breathtaking place (ok, I know, the grass is always greener on the other side ^^))