TuFuse Pro; Painfully slow

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
waters

TuFuse Pro; Painfully slow

Post by waters » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Is it just me or is TuFuse Pro really slow? Is EnFuse any faster or as capable?

dsjtecserv

Post by dsjtecserv » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

I haven't used Enfuse but I have compared TuFuse Pro to the exposure blending option that is built into PTGui. TuFuse if clearly faster than that. I also recall reading something recently comparing TuFuse and Enfuse that concluded TuFuse was faster, but I can't remember where I saw that. I think it also observed that the adjustment options afforded by TuFuse were superior. If I run across it I'll follow up later.

Before I got my current computer i was used to TuFuse taking 10 minutes or so to fuse a full size version of one of my typical panoramas -- 3 blend layers, 40 megapixels or so, 16 bits. With this faster computer it is typically less than 5 minutes.Max can confirm this, but I think a lot of the time is spent on disk access, so having it use a faster disk for temp files may be key to speeding it up.

Workflow wise, I used to just plan on taking a break, taking out the garbage, make coffee or something, while TuFuse did its thing. Now it doesn't take long enough to do that. So I'm behind on my chores.

Dave

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if Enfuse is faster...it might be. Or perhaps, it is under some circumstances but not others. File access is certainly a significant part of what determines the speed, but there are an awful lot of calculations performed as well, so processor speed is quite important as well. TuFuse stores a lot of intermediate results as files. If one could assume that the machine had unlimited memory, then one could design a program that wouldn't need to store intermediate results as files, and this would speed things up considerably. Maybe one day when we all have machines with 200GB of RAM this would be a reasonable assumption, but for now TuFuse does store data in files.

That said, there are a few things on my to-do list with TuFuse that should/could help speed it up:

1. Compile using MSVC rather than GCC
2. Convert to 64 bit application (currently only 32 bit)
3. Look for more areas in the code to implement multi-threading

Max

aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

SSDs make it fly! :D