TuFuse haziness

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
waters

TuFuse haziness

Post by waters » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:29 pm

The results of TuFuse often have a hazy quality to them which can be partially overcome by adding some contrast in Photoshop. I have been experimenting with images, -2, 0 +2 EV using luminosity masks or TuFuse. Each method has its advantages and the permutations of combining the results of both or each with another image to bring out shadow / highlights are seemingly endless. It seems the bright window in a dark room scenario is too much to ask of any HDR / Fusing program.

TerryGB

Re: TuFuse haziness

Post by TerryGB » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:43 am

waters wrote:It seems the bright window in a dark room scenario is too much to ask of any HDR / Fusing program.
TuFuse Pro

waters

Post by waters » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Terry:
Thanks for your encouragement. I'll give it another try. Maybe more latitude in the exposure dept. might help, maybe +4, -4

waters

Post by waters » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Terry:

For your example shot how much over and under did you shoot? Others have noted that fused images tend to lean toward blown out windows while keeping interiors properly exposed, which makes sense because there is more wall area than window area? This pano of work I recently completed ( cabinets and benches ) was fused with shots that encompassed all the range I needed for highlights and shadows, but windows were still too bright; adjusting down brightness sacrificed shadows, so I did a luminosity mask which evened things out nicely ( I think! ). http://eastmanwoodworking.com/panos/cylburn7.html

TerryGB

Post by TerryGB » Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 am

5 shots +2EV, 0EV, -2EV, -4EV, -6EV raw dngs. The +2EV lightest one at 1.5 seconds hand-held had to be discarded due to camera shake. The 0EV image and the -2EV dngs were both lightened and a new lighter image made from a copy of the 0EV image, all in ACR. The resultant 5 images (as 16bit tiffs) were aligned with align_images_stack, then aligned again in Photoshop, then processed in TufusePro, -1 levels, highlight floor -5, contrast +0.5. The output image with then blended in TufusePro with the darkest -6EV image.

Indoors I use 5 shots +2EV, 0EV, -2EV, -4EV, -6EV raw dngs. Outdoors 5 shots +2EV, +0.5EV, -1EV, -2.5EV, -4EV raw dngs.

Contrary to what many others say, including Max, I find that using 5 or more images gives me better results than using just 3 images. I find it is very seldom that I get a better result by missing out any of the base images. My objective in using TuFuse Pro is to give me a base image ready for processing in Photoshop. I do not want an image that has better contrast etc, I prefer to do all my enhancements in Photoshop.

Your example image looks very good to me, but I would have thought you could have got the same result using just TuFuse Pro. Are you reducing the Highlight Floor slider? I do find the Highlight/Shadow Floor sliders work better than the Highlights/Shadows sliders.

waters

Post by waters » Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 am

Terry:
Thanks for the detailed reply. I assume you lightened the -2EV and 0EV shots to compensate for the loss of your +2EV? The align_images_stack is the Panotools/ Hugin function? I have occasions where I do monopod panoramas and want to bracket. Do you find using the align_images_stack before aligning in Photoshop gives you a better result? CS3 and later has an align function, but maybe it is not as sophisticated as Panotools/ Hugin? Do you need to assign control points with align_images_stack or is it automatic?
I will try another set of images with more latitude. I like the idea of getting the full range of exposure from TuFuse. As your image shows it is certainly possible!
Thanks for your help.

TerryGB

Post by TerryGB » Wed May 05, 2010 9:24 am

waters wrote:I assume you lightened the -2EV and 0EV shots to compensate for the loss of your +2EV?
Yes.
waters wrote:The align_images_stack is the Panotools/ Hugin function?
Yes.
waters wrote:Do you find using the align_images_stack before aligning in Photoshop gives you a better result? CS3 and later has an align function, but maybe it is not as sophisticated as Panotools/ Hugin?
Normally I align in Photoshop CS3, but sometimes align_image_stack aligns better, especially with dark images. This particular image is only 1 of 2 out of hundreds where using both methods together gave better alignment.
waters wrote:Do you need to assign control points with align_images_stack or is it automatic?
Automatic.

waters

Post by waters » Fri May 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Terry:
Pardon the question, but could you give me any tips on executing the align_images_stack command line. I have my seven bracketed images in their own folder, but beyond that I get a little lost. The first image in the range is DSC_429. Could you copy and paste the command line you use, which will give me which options you use? Wiki and other sources are a little sketchy here.
Thanks

TerryGB

Post by TerryGB » Sat May 08, 2010 5:07 am

The command line I use is align_image_stack -a aligned 1.tif 2.tif 3.tif 4.tif 5.tif -v

align_image_stack.exe has to be in the folder along with your images

NOTE The first image in the input string will be the base image.

waters

Post by waters » Sat May 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Terry:
Many thanks for your help. I'm most of the way there, but I get the " unable to open file " message. Any special tips on this glitch?
Tim

waters

Post by waters » Sun May 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Terry:

I got it to work! Quite an interesting look " under the hood ". Now I will try some shots less well aligned to see how it works. Thanks for your help.

Tim Eastman

billgate

Re: TuFuse haziness

Post by billgate » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:43 am

PTassembler contains a version of Tufuse that is integrated into the panorama software. You can shoot focus stacks and/or exposure blends as part of a panorama sequence and PTA will sort out the stacks, determine what kind they are and then assemble the panorama. If you give it only as set of focus stacked images or exposure stacks, it will assemble them automatically. TuFuse Pro has more controls for both exposure and focus stacking but it does not have alignment software built in. PTA has an alignment mode that will create aligned tifs that can be use as inputs to Tufuse Pro if you need the extra controls that TuFuse Pro provides.