Auto blend, exposure & focus blend

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
waters

Auto blend, exposure & focus blend

Post by waters » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:45 pm

I found that on a 5 exposure stack -2,-1,0, +1,+2 TuFuse produces a better image using Auto blend than just Exposure blend. They are all focused the same, but with just Exposure blend I get some muddiness, which is greatly improved when using Auto blend. This probably makes sense, but in a way that is beyond me!
On another note, in order to recover blown out highlights without sacrificing interior shadow detail, is it best to fuse again with the under exposed for highlights shot, or will this lose shadow detail?

Terrywoodenpic

Post by Terrywoodenpic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 am

I am no expert, but I can't see why auto should be better.

I find that there is rarely, if ever, an advantage to bracket more than three exposures.

Like you I have found on a a few occasions it can help to re-fuse with the highlight detail exposure. However I am not sure that this is technically correct, and that an equal result could not have been obtained by better selection of the parameters.
Terry

old decrepit and still taking photographs

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Terrywoodenpic wrote:I am no expert, but I can't see why auto should be better.
Me neither! The "auto" simply tries to figure out if the images were taken with the same exposure or not. If so, then it assumes that focus blending is appropriate. If not, then it assumes that exposure blending is appropriate.

Max