TuFuse and Highlight Control

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's TuFuse and TuFuse Pro software
BuckeyeYank

TuFuse and Highlight Control

Post by BuckeyeYank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Are there any options I can adjust to control the highlights in the final fused output from TuFuse? I'm using TuFuse and PTA to merge 3 images taken inside of a church. I'm satisfied with everything in the fused image except the stained glass windows. I would like for them to be darker to maintain more of the definition of the artwork. I know I can adjust it in post-processing, but I would rather have more control during the fusing process. Is there a way to do that with TuFuse? Do I need to step up to TuFuse Pro or some other product? Thanks in advance.

The three input images and the output are included here:

Fused Image
BuckeyeYank

liza2

Re: TuFuse and Highlight Control

Post by liza2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:48 am

The best advice I can give it to start with the best images possible...ISO 1600 probably won't give the best results.
liza

WWG

Re: TuFuse and Highlight Control

Post by WWG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am

Assuming that you are using the tufuse that is embedded in PTA, then one method is to manipulate the input images to tone down the highlights. I believe that you can also write scripts to control embedded tufuse also but someone else will have to comment on that. TufusePro does allow considerable adjustments to the averaging weightings used in combining the images. With Tufuse Pro you would run PTA in "align" mode to generated aligned tifs, the use those tifs in Tufuse Pro.

Since Tufuse does averaging, not tonemapping, ISO1600 should be fine. The averaging process will reduce the effective ISO considerably.
Werner