Bug Report for Image Stacker: Mangled File Names

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
StevenTheEasilyAmused

Bug Report for Image Stacker: Mangled File Names

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 pm

There is an inconsistency in what version I think I've got:

On the website it says the latest version of the program is 1.04.
The downloadable zip file also says in the readme.txt dated 7/2/2005 that it's 1.04
BUT the setup executable is dated 11/21/2002 and once installed the About box says 2002, Version 1.03

So I think the installer is wrong, or it's not the latest version.

There are two problems that I've noted recently.

I dragged and dropped a large number of images into the "Input Files" area from Picasa3 (on Windows 7/64 bit and on Windows XP).

The file are named like this:

B__22013.JPG, B__22014xy.JPG, B__22015xza.JPG, and B__22016.JPG

When dragging from Explorer or Picasa3 it looks like this:

[sorry, can't post the image, but it shows that some of the file names are mangled]

Notice how the last file name is corrupted? Every file after that is also corrupted in name such that:

"Start" produces this:

[Pop up warning requiring OK to dismiss]

followed by this:
[Many more pop up warnings]
[Completed box]

It doesn't actually create an image.

There are two (or more) popups for EVERY file (in this case far fewer than the scenario that I noticed it first I had dragged in 50 files!).

If I select and "remove selected" all the things it complained about and then drag back the INDIVIDUAL files it all works. It seems it is barfing when the file name length changes.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:43 am

You are right that there is a mismatch between the readme/website and the executable version. However, the executable version (1.03) is the latest published version. And, it looks you have found a problem in the logic that tries to automatically suggest an output name based on the names of the input files. (As a workaround, you should be able to just enter the desired output name manually).

That said, I have been working over the last couple of months to rewrite the Image Stacker GUI from scratch using VB.NET. It will be a complete replacement for the version currently available. Because of this, I don't plan to go back and revisit the old/existing version because its replacement is imminent.

I am also in the process of making a few changes to the underlying image stacker command line executable, namely a bug fix to the way in which it deals with the alpha channel and the addition of a new blending mode.

When ready, these changes will be bundled together to create version 2.0 of Image Stacker, which I hope to release quite soon.

Max

dsp

Post by dsp » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:27 am

I imagine the new image stacker will support 16-bit images. Any teasers about the expanded capabilities?
Darcy

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:20 pm

maxlyons wrote:And, it looks you have found a problem in the logic that tries to automatically suggest an output name based on the names of the input files.
While the problem may also corrupt the output file name, it is also clearly mangling the dragged in file names. The workaround is to only drag in files with the same name structure at any one "drag". Files with different lengths can be dragged individually or in groups.

E.g. "A1.jpg, A2.jpg, A3.jpg" can be added at once, but "BX10.jpg, BX11.jpg" will have to be added in a separate drag from the An.jpg set. Extra dragging is a drag :), but it works.

While I've got your attention, one problem is with the dark frame handling. Since dark frames should be matched with the conditions under which they were taken (same orientation, same temperature, same ISO), the current implementation is a bit convoluted when processing different sets.

I use the cmd line. I wrote the following .bat file to combine files in size-specified batches (e.g. 8 files together at a time). I batch them up like this to create animations (the part I'm talking about is toward the end - I call it the "dazzler" section).

stackem.bat

Code: Select all

@echo OFF
REM imgstack -?
if "x%1" == "-?" goto SPLAINIT
if "x%3" == "x" goto SPLAINIT

setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion

set Prefix=%1
set OutputPath=%2
set NumImages=%3
if "x%4" == "x" (set Ttl=1000) ELSE (set Ttl=%4)
if "x%5" == "x" (set stackCmd=-b) ELSE (set stackCmd=%5)

echo Prefix=%Prefix%  OutputPath=%OutputPath% NumImages=%NumImages%

set Cnt=0
set CmdLine=%stackCmd%

for %%F in (%Prefix%) do (
    set CmdLine=!CmdLine! %%F
    set /A Cnt=!Cnt!+1
    IF !Cnt! GEQ %NumImages% (
        set Cnt=0
            set /A Ttl=!Ttl!+1
        imgstack -o%OutputPath%!Ttl!.JPG !CmdLine!
        set CmdLine=%stackCmd%
        )
        @REM pause
)

if NOT "!CmdLine!" == "%stackCmd%" (
            set /A Ttl=!Ttl!+1
        imgstack -o%OutputPath%!Ttl!.JPG !CmdLine!
)

echo Completed!
goto LEAVE

:SPLAINIT
echo USAGE:
echo     stackem FileWildCard outputfilename numtostack [FirstOutputImage]
echo
echo     Example:  stackem B_0244*.JPG C:\_\Portable\images\tmp\ 10
echo         Will stack 10 images at a time.

:LEAVE

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm

dsp wrote:I imagine the new image stacker will support 16-bit images. Any teasers about the expanded capabilities?
Darcy
Sorry...16 bit won't be in the next release. That would require rewriting a good chunk of the command line executable which is where most of the real processing happens. The next release is mostly about porting the GUI to VB.NET. I'm planning on adding a "darken" blending mode which can "remove" stars from a series of images. I have found this to be helpful in conjunction with Star Tracer. I'd like to add 16 bit processing as well, but that will have to wait a little longer.

Max

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:03 pm

StevenTheEasilyAmused wrote:I use the cmd line.
Excellent. Thanks for sharing!

As I mentioned above, I won't be fixing any bugs in the old version, since I'm pretty much complete in my rewrite. I'll try not to bring any old existing bugs into the new version, however!

Max

richard cooper

Post by richard cooper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Will the new version support TIFF images?
Richard

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am

richard cooper wrote:Will the new version support TIFF images?
Richard
Yes...8 bit TIFF images.

Max

richard cooper

Post by richard cooper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Great!

I have registered and paid for my V1.03, can I upgrade or need to purchase v2.0?
Richard

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:44 pm

richard cooper wrote:I have registered and paid for my V1.03, can I upgrade or need to purchase v2.0?
Upgrades will be free for existing users.

Max