Image Stacker 2.0

Discussion forum for Tawbaware's Star Tracer and Image Stacker software
maxlyons

Image Stacker 2.0

Post by maxlyons » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am

I have posted Image Stacker 2.0.

It has been several years since I updated Image Stacker. This version adds one more blending more (darken), and features a rewritten graphical interface. (The new interface looks much the same as the old one, but the old interface was written in a language that made it hard to maintain/update.)

Download here:

http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm

I'm also leaving the previous version available for download, until I get some reports of success from folks using the new version.

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

imgstack.exe has stopped working... (re 2.0)

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I installed 2.0 on my Windows 7 - 64 bit machine. The GUI runs, but when you press [Create] it runs for a bit then pops up the window with the text shown in the title. Doesn't seem to matter which operation is selected (e.g. fails for Stack and Brighten)

It seems to be going into a ditch when it encounters the first file because the output in the cmd window that executes says:

"Starting...
Using Preset Gama Curve 0
Loading image 1: C:\"...

And then it dies. Will try on my Win XP machine for comparison. NOTE: I never had installed imagestacker on this machine before.

Letting Windows 7 try to fix the "compatibility" problem didn't seem to help.

StevenTheEasilyAmused

imgstack.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:57 pm

I uninstalled ImageStacker 1.03 and installed 2.0 on my 32 bit Win XP and got the same problem as above after clicking the Create button.

I then uninstalled 2.0, installed 1.03 on that same laptop and after entering the registration key... it doesn't choke on the same two files that choked 2.0.

Went back to the Win 7 x64 machine and did the same thing. 1.03 works, 2.0 fails.

Seems like there is an issue with the release.
Last edited by StevenTheEasilyAmused on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxlyons

Re: imgstack.exe has encountered a problem and needs to clos

Post by maxlyons » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:37 pm

It works fine on my machines, so we'll need to figure out what is different.

What happens when you run imgstack.exe from the command line?

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

imgstack.exe has stopped working... (re 2.0)

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I get the same results as I posted above:

Here is a cut and paste.

C:\Personal\tools\ImageStacker\ImageStacker>imgstack -b C:\_\Portable\images\Processed\stacks\LickMoonrise\5_026713.JPG
C:\_\Portable\images\Processed\stacks\LickMoonrise\5_026717.JPG -oX.JPG
Starting...
Using Preset Gamma Curve 0
Loading image 1: C:\_\Portable\images\Processed\stacks\LickMoonrise\5_026713.JPG

Note that I installed ImageStacker in other than its default location. I tried in the default location, too)

It's not likely to be a path problem since 1.03 works with the same images.

When I get home, I'll try it on my desktop Win 7 x64 machine, too. I don't remember the fancy set up to get stacktrace/dump, but I can try to collect that if you give me some hints.

maxlyons

Re: imgstack.exe has stopped working... (re 2.0)

Post by maxlyons » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Can you send me the images that you are using? I'd like to try and reproduce exactly what you are doing on my machine to see if I can reproduce the failure. Hopefully, it will be something simple to fix.

Thanks,

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:18 am

maxlyons wrote:Can you send me the images that you are using? I'd like to try and reproduce exactly what you are doing on my machine to see if I can reproduce the failure. Hopefully, it will be something simple to fix.
I can send you the images, but it doesn't seem to matter which images I use - whether large (5M [4752x3168] or small 91K [480x320]). Any two JPG images that are the same dimensions will cause the failure and it fails when trying to load the first image.

The images that fail with 2.0 work with 1.03, however. The failure with the command line occurs whether or not I've configured the registration key.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional (64 bit version).

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:36 am

It looks like a problem reading JPEG images. I have uploaded a new version (version 2.01) that should fix the problem.

http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm

Thanks,

Max

richard cooper

IS 2.01

Post by richard cooper » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Max, this is what I get with IS 2.01 on a win XP sp 3 machine.
Richard

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 134)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.RefreshConfig(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at ImageStacker.My.MySettings.get_blendMode()
at ImageStacker.cISObject.updateFromSettings()
at ImageStacker.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3615 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ImageStacker
Assembly Version: 2.0.1.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/ImageStacker/ImageStacker.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

maxlyons

Re: IS 2.01

Post by maxlyons » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:59 pm

richard cooper wrote:Max, this is what I get with IS 2.01 on a win XP sp 3 machine.
That looks like some sort of .NET error. (There are quite a lot of matches via Google when searching for this error message.)

Image Stacker requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 be installed on your machine. One thing you could try is to uninstall this framework (if it already exists) and reinstall it. There are endless other suggestions on the web for this, but as I can't replicate the problem (and neither can Microsoft, apparently), it is hard to know what will work!

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:47 pm

maxlyons wrote:It looks like a problem reading JPEG images. I have uploaded a new version (version 2.01) that should fix the problem.
That does seem to solve the problem for me. I tested it with large and small JPGs however it looks like some behaviors are now different.

1. Drag and drop from file explorer doesn't work. The icon shows a "not sign" when I hover over the Image Stacker Window.
2. When it finishes creating the image it does not invoke my default image browser (Picasa's Photo Viewer).
3. Every time I launch ImageStacker from the created taskbar entry I get a pop up"Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to your computer?"
4. When I use ctl-click to select two images in the Add Images window, it adds all the images in the folder, not just the two that I selected. In fact, all the images in the folder are listed twice and sometimes three times.

It's too bad there is not a simple way to post screenshots of the behavior to be more clear.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Steven,

Item #2 is by design...Image Stacker just creates the output file. It doesn't then ask the operating system to do anything else with that file.

I cannot replicate items 1, 3 or 4 on your list. Drag and drop works fine, as does ctrl-clicking on multiple images, and I don't get any prompt when launching Image Stacker.

I'd be interested to hear reports from others on this issue. My guess is something related to the .NET framework installed on your machine, but that is just a guess.

Lastly, this forum software doesn't act as a repository for everyone to upload images. If you want to post a screenshot you'll have to upload the image to space that you control (most ISPs provide their customers with some free space), and then post a link that image.

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:24 pm

maxlyons wrote:Item #2 is by design...Image Stacker just creates the output file. It doesn't then ask the operating system to do anything else with that file.
I understand that, but 1.03 auto launches the result.
maxlyons wrote:I cannot replicate items 1, 3 or 4 on your list. Drag and drop works fine, as does ctrl-clicking on multiple images, and I don't get any prompt when launching Image Stacker.
I'm scratching my head too. I suspect that the warning pop-up and the disabled dragging are somehow related. I did install the application in a custom location: C:\Personal\Tools\ImageStacker

The disabled drag/drop problem is constant and repeatable. The problem selecting files from a directory is not - not sure why it's working now.
maxlyons wrote:Lastly, this forum software doesn't act as a repository for everyone to upload images. If you want to post a screenshot you'll have to upload the image to space that you control (most ISPs provide their customers with some free space), and then post a link that image.
I understand. It's just that its inefficient to go through those hoops.

I haven't customized my Windows 7 Professional in any way I can imagine. My only guess as to why it works for your when launching is that you've disabled the UAC. My user Account Control setting is "default". If I set it to "never notify" it doesn't pop up the warning at launch.

Finally, I'm launching IS from the start menu where I have it pinned - in case that may be related to the problem. I too would like to hear from another Windows 7 x64 user.

maxlyons

Post by maxlyons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:12 am

I'm scratching my head too. I suspect that the warning pop-up and the disabled dragging are somehow related. I did install the application in a custom location: C:\Personal\Tools\ImageStacker
I just installed Image Stacker in that location, but still couldn't reproduce the problems you mention.
I haven't customized my Windows 7 Professional in any way I can imagine. My only guess as to why it works for your when launching is that you've disabled the UAC. My user Account Control setting is "default". If I set it to "never notify" it doesn't pop up the warning at launch.
Mine is also set at "default".
Finally, I'm launching IS from the start menu where I have it pinned - in case that may be related to the problem. I too would like to hear from another Windows 7 x64 user.
I tried that as well. It didn't make any difference either.

Do you have another PC you can use to test if the issues are specific to the first PC?

Max

StevenTheEasilyAmused

Post by StevenTheEasilyAmused » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

maxlyons wrote:Do you have another PC you can use to test if the issues are specific to the first PC?
Well, this is interesting. It installed on my wife's Windows 7 x64 desktop machine and doesn't exhibit the warning on launch behavior. I didn't have any images available to try the stacking operation, though.

I also tried to install ImageStacker 2.01 on a Windows x64 Enterprise edition and was shot down due to installation "requiring administrator privileges".

Seems like my Lenovo laptop with the Windows 7 that came with it is behaving badly... why it is choosing to behave so badly with Image Stacker is a mystery as I haven't noticed any other bad behavior.

Question: if I "uninstall" is there something else I should do to make sure everything is really gone? I notice that many registry keys still show the presence of Image Stacker HK..ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache as well as compatibility stuff. I'm sure pretty sure this is standard windows detritus... For safety I went through and removed everything that said "TAWBAWARE" or "IMAGESTACKER". I then deleted the tools directory, reinstalled it in the default location and

IT WORKS! Hooray.

BUT... there is still a reproducible problem which I'll describe in the next post.